Nuetered male rabbit still humping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsterdance

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425489633.291235.jpg
Hi everyone! This little doofus here is Leo, and he just got neutered a week ago! Before the neuter he was very expressive of his man feelings... He would try to hump, circle, honk, and groom me 75% of I spent with him. Since the neuter that has become 100%... Is this normal for him to be getting more "excited"? I have blocked him off to a smaller area to heal and haven't been spending as much time with him because his behavior literally prevents me from anything other than having him trying to hump me.
So my question is... Is it normal for him to be worse immediately after a neuter?
And if so, how long did your bunnies take to start calming down?
Thanks for any help!

Yes, it's not unheard of for them to sometimes have a surge of hormones post neuter. It can take up to 6-8 weeks post neuter, for the hormones to fully fade, but usually you will see improvement around 3 weeks. You could try a few things so that you can still spend some time with him til then. You could try holding him for cuddles. This way you can be with him but he can't harass you :) You can also try gently but firmly pressing his head down when he is doing this. This simulates what a dominant rabbit would do to discipline another rabbit. Also giving a sharp squeal or 'eep' sound when he tries it, can sometimes discourage the behavior as well.

Unless your vet said to confine him longer, one week is usually enough for males to recover from a neuter. Expanding his area back up may also help, as he may be acting up more because of feeling cooped up.

Latest posts

Back