Helping Holland Lop gain weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocoa

Cocoa's Mamma
Reaction score
She was 3lb 6oz when I got her and a little over 2 years old. I weighed her last week (2 months after getting her) and she is down to 3lb not quite 3oz. You can feel her ribs, spine, shoulders, etc... she's getting so skinny.

Had to remove her pellet food cause it was causing all kinds of problems and she was pooping HUGE piles of cecotropes (vet's orders). Since removing pellet food, she's a much happier rabbit all the way around.

We are following the diet that the vet put together for her so she eats lots of Timothy Hay, and every day gets some broccoli, carrots, cabbage, & romaine. Sometimes she gets peppers, parsley, or other greens I have on hand. Her special treats are occasional raisins/strawberries/bananas.

She eats like crazy, pees, poops, drinks.... but she's losing weight. I'm guessing from the lack of pellet food. What can I replace the pellet food with that won't wreak havoc on her digestive system but will help her gain weight?

She's my pal. I want her healthy.

So we took her to the vet. She lost a total of 7oz. She's on a new diet of unlimited greens and is on antibiotics for potential urinary tract infection and upper respiratory infection.

Of course, she went from drinking about 16oz of water a day to drinking nothing... so now her fluids are coming from her veggies. She's also lethargic.

She is supposedly 2 1/2 years old but the vet thinks that she's much older (maybe when I bought her, we were given incorrect info). Anyway, hopefully she'll improve.

She's got cataracts which the vet says she hasn't ever seen in a bunny this "young".

Today she laid in my lap like a little lump for over an hour and a half. (NOT NORMAL).

photo (57).jpg

The fact that she doesn't drink much wouldn't worry me all that much if she eats a lot of leafy greens. Maybe, give her the greens still wet after washing them so she gets more water while eating. You can also try putting some organic carrot juice in the water to make it more appealing. It worked well for my Tybalt, who wasn't drinking at all when I got him.
Cataracts can have several causes, as the vet probably told you, so it's not always a sign of old age - baby rabbits can have it. All in all, the age of a rabbit is pretty hard to tell, I think.
Lethargy is quite worrying. Is she eating and pooping like normal? That's my very empirical non-scientific method of knowing when to panic: as long as the rabbit is eating and pooping, I consider we're in the "will probably get better with the right treatment" zone ^^. Is there a reason why you were given a treatment for urinary tract and upper respiratory infections or is it just a shot in the dark? Were analyses done? Cataracts can also be a sign of e cuniculi...
Sorry, I can't really help. I hope your rabbit gets better.

what are you doing for trace nutrients and energy? Are you giving her oatmeal or black oil sunflower seeds?

Was she given any pain medication that could be making her drowsy? If her lethargy isn't due to pain meds and/or if she isn't eating, you need to contact your vet right away. If it's out of hours, contact their emergency number. If this lethargy happened after the antibiotic was given, it's possible your rabbit is having a negative reaction to the antibiotic that may be causing a disruption to the gut bacteria, especially if the abx was one dangerous to be given to rabbits and if you are seeing runny poop. A severe enough disruption is a life threatening situation. If the abx is the cause of the lethargy and upset, the vet will need to change to a different antibiotic, as well as give other meds to counter the gut flora disruption and meds to get your bun eating again.
http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

White spots in the eyes of younger rabbits, may be caused by the e. cuniculi parasite. If your vet didn't rule this out, it would be good to discuss the possibility.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Cat/Cat_en.htm

She is on Orbax antibiotic cause she was gurgling while breathing and she had some issues with urine scald.

Since starting the antibiotic, she's decided that she doesn't want to drink. I've been using the syringe from the Orbax to get some water in her. If I get her swallowing raisins, I can get a couple of syringes of water in her.

She's hardly eating her hay now. Her poops went from big and fibrous to tiny hard little brown balls. :(

If I put water in her veggies, she'll leave them in the bowl. Vet said to give her through the weekend and then if she doesn't improve, we will take her off the antibiotic.

In the meantime, still gurgling while breathing. She's dry, but I can't tell if that is cause she isn't peeing or because she is no longer suffering with a UTI.

As far as what I'm feeding her to assist in nutrients... I'm doing what the vet said. I did some research online on what to feed her to help but couldn't find anything. That's why I posted here. All she's getting are hay, veggies, occasional fruit, and the water that I squirt down her throat.

I did order some new pellet food online that seemed to be rated very highly. It's not here yet.

If it were me I'd ask for another medication that has less side effects. Her not drinking, being lethargic and losing weight is not good. If she isn't getting the vitamins/minerals she needs thru the diet the vet gave you then that will affect her health and ability to fight infections.

I agree with majorv. I would want her on a different antibiotic. If she isn't eating well then she also needs to be syringe fed a recovery food mix. I wouldn't be feeding sugary raisins. That will just further disrupt the gut flora, which could lead to more problems. She needs to be syringe fed food and water right away if she isn't eating and drinking well on her own.

I would be a bit concerned about a vet not taking these types of symptoms in a rabbit very seriously. And if the vet didn't tell you that you would need to syringe feed food and water if your bun wasn't eating and drinking enough, that is also concerning. Depending on your location, Oxbow Critical Care is a common food mix used. You should be able to get it from your vet, though if your vet didn't already offer it to you, they should have. I personally would be looking for a better rabbit vet.
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care

I also think critical care is needed if she doesn't eat her hay. It's got fibers which will keep her guts moving. You can generally buy it at your vet. I would get that ASAP if her poos are small. Organic vegetables baby food can also be given.
I agree with majorv, if the antibiotic has that many side effects (or if it's not working and letting all those symptoms come through), it needs to be changed. One week is an awful long time for a rabbit not to be eating and drinking properly. Rabbits are unfortunately very fragile animals and their health can deteriorate very quickly when they don't eat enough.

Latest posts

Back