Spraying to avoid cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun02

Reaction score
I am maybe getting a new rabbit, she is about 3-4 years old and has not been sprayed. Can I spray her still to protect her from cancer or is it too late to help her, when I get her she will be vaccinated before the release of calcivirus, I am just worried about her getting uterus cancer, also does breeding help their chances of not getting the cancer. Is she too old to start breeding, she has never been bred... But is hormonal! She has cage aggression (she is not aggressive in my hutches but is aggressive in their cages). She is a Dutch rabbit (doe) and loves grass
I will post a pic soon, her name is Mocha

She has a twin sister who's name is tux

She currently is living at my schools farm. She is not been properly cared for and I am worried about there health. I live in Sydney and we are having very hot weather and they do not get frozen water bottles and there cages are not the proper size, they can not stand on there back legs (they hit the top of the cage) and they can only just flop. There living area is tiny and they get unlimited pellets, no hay, no chews, they don't have unlimited grass and are never out, mocha never gets the day cage, there are 2 day cages for all of the rabbits and guinea pig, no one likes her, none of their rabbits are being vaccinated, their nails were extremely long, everyone has one fav rabbit who gets all the attention, there cages have sharp pointy wires sticking out, all the rabbits don't get health checks and have never been to a vet before, only a couple of people like mocha and most people use gloves to get her out which stresses her out and makes her attack more, she has a ball that I have her which she likes, she chews it all the time and hits it when she is mad, also there cages are not front opening dors they are top opening doors, I will also post a pic of them later when I post a pic of mocha

She is a one of a kind rabbit and I love her for that

I can't wait to prove my schools farms and everyone there that Mocha is friendly and that she just needed a little help to get there.

🐰🐇

To answer your question, yes 3-4 years old is much too old to start breeding. Rabbits of the dutch size should usually be bred before they're one year old (from memory). From what I have read about cancer and breeding, it seems that only does which are bred regularly (twice a year-ish) seem to avoid the cancer, breeding once or twice in her life won't do a thing. Providing she doesn't already have the beginning of cancer, you certainly can still get her spayed to prevent it :) It might also help with a little bit of her aggressive behaviour as well (though not guaranteed).

Umm, that sounds like animal neglect and abuse and should be reported to the local authority. Completely unacceptable treatment of animals.

Provided their cages meet the legal size requirement and they are provided with food/water and safe environment, it probably isn't. It's hard to say how bad any of those things are without seeing them.

Latest posts

Back