Flopping out of spite?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyumiyu

Reaction score
I have a bit of an odd question about my rabbit's behavior. I'm still in the process of bonding my boy and girl, but it's been on hold for the past month or so because I've been busy with classes. Their cages are both in my room, but they get let out for floor time separately.

Whenever Jolie is let out for her floor time, Jinglebell will always flop down at the end of his cage closest to where she's at, looking for all intents and purposes content. I had thought that rabbits only flopped when they were very happy, which confuses me because he still does not like Jolie at all, and continues to try and bite her when she gets close enough.

Is flopping out of spite a thing? Is Jinglebell just giving her the bunny equivalent of the finger? I don't think it affects my bonding, but I just thought it was interesting behavior, and wanted to get opinions on it. Thanks!

Rabbits will flop for more than just being contented. When another rabbit is concerned that they may not get along with well yet, they will flop as a type of insult to the other rabbit.

"Note: If rabbits don’t get along they may play a little game one could call “I’m happier than you are.” Usually when a rabbit flops near another it shows how comfortable it is with the other, but with rabbits that are not good friends it can actually be used as a mild insult. When used in this way it means something similar to the “I don’t care about you” insult described later, but more like “I’m happy and you’re a miserable excuse for a rabbit, so there.”
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ah-this-is-the-life/

So yes, it sounds like this is what Jinglebell may be doing. In a way he is unhappy about your other bun being let out and not him, but is flopping down as if to say "I'm perfectly happy in here while you are playing out there, you jerk". And it doesn't mean they won't be able to learn to like each other and bond at some point. It's just right now, this is how he feels.

When we were fostering a very large baby boy we called Brer Junior, the buck in the house would try to get Brer Junior's attention to show him how chill he could be. That didn't work, so then Trigger would get Brer Junior's attention, then show him his bum. Obviously, Brer Junior was oblivious to Trigger's action and it made him very angry.

Trigger was a big, old drama queen, Great Bunny rest his soul.

Latest posts

Back