What Breed and How Old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilybispo

EmilysBunnies
Reaction score
So i just got my baby paisley from a local farm and feed store and they didn't really know a whole lot about rabbits but from what they told me they said she was around 3-4 m and a dutch rabbit it sounds pretty legit but i wanted to see what you guys think!:dutch

down below i linked some pics to help!

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

She's so cute! But not pure dutch, I think. Looks like she has some lop in her, her ears are almost falling over, and that's a dwarfy face I'm seeing. Probably dutch/minilop mix?

She's so cute! But not pure dutch, I think. Looks like she has some lop in her, her ears are almost falling over, and that's a dwarfy face I'm seeing. Probably dutch/minilop mix?

wow lop? didn't even begin to think that lol, but i was thinking some dwarf because she does kinda have the shape! any idea of how old?

I definitely wouldnt say Dutch or evenot Dutch mix but you never know. The ears are pretty long so maybe some lop? I see polish though. Very common pet rabbit

We have a "What breed is my bunny?" rabbit identification key here on RO which can help you figure out what sort of breed your bunny might be (or what might have gone into the mix).

I have to say I don't see any Dutch characteristics in your bunny. The Dutch Rabbit page on our key has a lot of pictures I've taken of Dutch rabbits, and nothing is similar -particularly not the coloring pattern, which is what marks a Dutch rabbit.

I think your rabbit is very definitely one of the "cute bunny" sort. No question.

Welcome to Rabbits Online!

if three to four months.. she has big ears so she's not going to be a small rabbit.. probably finish about 6-7 lbs.
she doesn't look like any dutch cross I've ever seen. She looks like generic bunny mix.

She's a poorly marked broken black.

if three to four months.. she has big ears so she's not going to be a small rabbit.. probably finish about 6-7 lbs.
she doesn't look like any dutch cross I've ever seen. She looks like generic bunny mix.

She's a poorly marked broken black.

poorly marked broken black?

poorly marked broken black?

"Broken" means that the rabbit's fur has whatever color mixed with white fur. So, "broken black" means "black and white".

"Poorly marked" refers to how the black is distributed across the rabbit's body, and how much there is. Basically, the breed standard would define how much of the body can be colored (from looking at a few breeds, it seems like most of them expect at least 10% color, no more than 90% white). The colored patches should usually be entirely colored, not mixed with white.

Also, the breed standard would determine what the configuration of the colored patches should be - for example, some breeds require a "butterfly" marking on the nose. Others require a stripe down the back, or evenly distributed and symmetrical spots, or perhaps larger blotches but only behind the front legs, and so on.

For example, look at this broken black Mini-Rex rabbit - notice how much of the fur is black, and the "butterfly" on the nose:
minirex-broken-detail_7255-8045.jpg

If you look at the RO key "patterned fur" pages, you can see some of the variations

Not being a breeder, and not knowing what breed your bunny is (if it is any particular breed), I can't say much more than that.

Latest posts

Back