Bunny Breed Identification

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnarg

Reaction score
Hey all, so I have FINALLY found the perfect rabbit, and am starting the adoption process.

She has such a great demeanor, and even loves to be held like a small child!

However, I am curious if you all can assist me with breed identification. Any ideas what ol Lillith may be? Thanks :). When I finally get her after her spay, I will certainly do an introduction.

Also, she is supposedly 6-7 months old if thats necessary. I assume she may fill out a bit more, but still cannot solve the breed question (shelter didn't know either).

Lillith.jpg

Lillith2.jpg

She looks kinda like my baby! Also i see a little dutch because of the markings, not completely sure though because she is quite big!

^ her markings really don't look like a dutch since this is what a dutch looks like. The markings of the OP's rabbit appear broken.

There is a video that a member here put together about English Spot (breed) vs broken markings on other breeds. I will take the liberty of posting the link to that video. (video by woahlookitsme)
http://youtu.be/u5GBu-6GfM4

th[1].jpg

Her face looks like one of the bigger breeds, possibly New Zealand White or Californian? Probably a mix though. I see some tufts of hair between her ears, maybe a bit of lionhead or angora in her too.

When you say she loves to be held like a small child, do you mean upside down on her back cradled like a baby? If so, you are doing something called "trancing", and the general consensus is that bunnies in that position are actually too scared/disorientated to move, not that they like it. When holding a bunny the best way is to ensure their feet are firmly against something, whether it's your hand, arm, or chest. :)

Bunnie tend to look adulty from 5-6 months onward, so can't help you much on age except that she does look grown up.

^ her markings really don't look like a dutch since this is what a dutch looks like. The markings of the OP's rabbit appear broken.

There is a video that a member here put together about English Spot (breed) vs broken markings on other breeds. I will take the liberty of posting the link to that video. (video by woahlookitsme)
http://youtu.be/u5GBu-6GfM4
oh well okay I've been told from various people my rabbit is a dutch mix and she has broken spots

IMG_6606.jpg

Emily, purebred dutch bunnies are all supposed to look (more or less) like the pic Blue Eyes posted. It's a hallmark of the breed. Your bunny could be a dutch mix, he just didn't inherit the dutch markings. His markings are called broken black, or butterfly black. :)

What? Guys come on lol. This is a broken mini Rex. The curly whiskers and velvet soft hair are huge identifiers.

Omgggg you are right. I wasn't paying attention to fur type. My bad! Definitely either a rex or mini rex. Sorry!

we all make mistakes! identifying rabbits is difficult i was going to say rex but wasn't sure if the fur was velvet or not:bunnydance:

Guys awesome news, thanks for all of the help! Seems Rex/Mini Rex is the consensus. At what point will the rabbit cease to grow, and thus determining whether its a mini rex or full rex? Also please do not be concerned about the holding of the rabbit. I have done plenty of research, but simply using the standard picking up (scooping from behind etc.) technique, she still loves it! Very laid back rabbit, so super excited about finally starting the journey! Thanks everyone, and be looking for a wonderful introduction soon!

We've got a "What breed is my bunny?" Rabbit Identification Key here on Rabbits Online. You can work through the questions and, hopefully, get a better idea of what kind of rabbit you might have.

The Rex and Mini-Rex page on the Rabbit Identification Key has information on those breeds, sizes and so on.

On a personal note, my Natasha Rabbitova is a Mini-Rex, as was Scone MacBunny, my first rabbit companion. You won't find a brighter, more loving bunny than a Mini-Rex - and the rex fur is wonderfully soft. Of course, they also come with the famous Mini-Rex Attitude - independent, mischievous, and demonstrative. You never need to wonder where you stand with a Mini-Rex!

Welcome to RO!

@ whiskey, I did the same as you!! I just looked at the marking and knew it didn't have dutch markings - didn't pay attention to the fur. But the fur is clearly that lovely rex fur! :embarrassed:

Latest posts

Back