Strange Mass Between Toes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
Today when I picked up Wrangler I happened to notice a small white/yellowish nodule between his left hind toes. The mass is kind of squishy like it might be a fluid filled sac? I am a little frustrated because he was JUST at the vet on Wednesday. The doctor was SO impressed at how healthy he is. What in the world could it be? It doesn't appear to be painful or affect his gait (he runs up and down the hallway just fine). I am stuck between taking him back into the vet or just keeping an eye on it for a little bit.View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425148227.364594.jpg

Looks like an abscess to me. Not life threatening but there probably are antibiotics in your future, sorry. I do understand your frustration completely ^^.

I would watch it really carefully and if it is growing and instead of shrinking I would go to the vet, because if it is abscess it will be so much easier to treat in the early stage.

Wowza I do apologize for an up close picture of my own personal nails! I uploaded this picture directly from my phone.

I am going to keep an eye on it for now and I will consult with the veterinarian who saw him this week. If I need to bring him back in for a re-examination I will.

I am a little bit bummed because I finally had some relief (see other post on rabbits & general anesthesia).

Ugh.

Since you have a decent image, and a good relationship with your vet, you might even be able to just email him the picture with a comment on description etc and see whether it's worth another trip. He might just tell you to keep an eye on changes in size etc.

Well Wrangler is scheduled for a recheck tomorrow. The mass is haunting me and I can't tell if it's the same size or a little bit larger.

I just don't want it to rupture and then cause even more problems. I hope and pray that I receive good news tomorrow and that it (a) is a simple fix or (b) leave it alone.

Keep us updated on what you vet says.

With mysterious lumps and bumps I find it's best to write a thorough description, with measurements (ideally this is what your vet will do in their medical record) and/or take pictures so you can compare back later. If you're looking at it every day it can be really hard to decide if its changing.

So I took him in today and they aspirated the mass. Now we're just waiting on the final cytology results.

I am a nervous wreck.

Update: The doctors are not sure what it is. They have prescribed .049 ml of terbinafine (anti-fungal) to be given orally every 24 hours for the next 2 weeks. If the mass does not shrink, the next step is to do a biopsy.

Well I suppose that's better than it could be, if they're not sure, it could just be nothing. Fingers crossed!

Well I suppose that's better than it could be, if they're not sure, it could just be nothing. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, it's just a little frustrating because as a worried momma I want answers. Now. But life doesn't work that way.

The vet said that if the mass stays the same size and it doesn't bother Wrangler to just leave it alone rather than putting him through the stress of a biopsy and potentially surgery. Hence why they want to start with a less aggressive approach unless the mass is rapidly growing. I will be taking measurements and pictures as the weeks progress.

Thank you for the positive vibes.

I just wanted to give an update.

Wrangler finished the 2-week anti-fungal treatment with no change of the mass. The mass has remained the same, which isn't all bad. The next step would be biopsy or remove the toe. Both procedures would require Wrangler to be anesthetized.

As I have given this MUCH thought I have decided not to proceed and to let the mass "just be"unless there is a significant change. In my heart, I do not want to put my senior, otherwise healthy rabbit through the stress. It's just not worth it and I am finally at peace with my decision. I will continue to keep a close eye on the mass and I pray that it will not ultimately affect his quality of life.

In the mean time, he is happy and running about. Just last week he pulled a NASCAR which he hasn't done in years. Usually he just runs up and down the hallway. He has no issues standing on his hind legs and jumping. He is eating and drinking well.

So at this point, as stated previously, I favor quality vs quantity and I want my senior bun to enjoy his golden years.

Latest posts

Back