Housing a large bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne_Bunny

Reaction score
Hello!

I need some help and advice on housing my bunny. He was originally in a cage but we have a little problem; he can escape from absolutely anything. He has jumped over a 4ft barrier, chewed right trough a mattress and I've found him sitting outside his completely locked cage. Peter is a escape artist! Because of this he has become almost free range in my garage, but I am moving house next year and he won't have that luxury. So I need some help!

I need a very secure and space efficient cage, something as cheap as possible and preferably portable since I'm still a student.

I'm planning to let him hop about either my room or a living room when I am home, but I need a secure place for him during the day so he doesn't destroy everything.

Oh, and incase anyone didn't know, peter is huge. He is about the size of a large cat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425121686.197947.jpg

Some people use large dog crates, though I know they're not always cheap. But they're very secure. There's the latch on the door itself, and you can also use additional clips to keep the door "locked" if neccesary. Large dog crates usually offer enough room for food dishes, litter tray etc and many people put a shelf half way along for additional space.

Here's a google image I found with one: http://www.bunspace.com/forum/static/bunpics/72/1302.jpg

Otherwise if you have a play pen that's made of metal mesh panels. You could join the panels together to form a cage with a roof. I did that when Bandit was neutered. See here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Azerane/media/IMG_4860Temphutchsm_zps8240513c.jpg.html

Nothing to add except that I am partial to Dutch marked rabbits. My Trix is a dwarf. Peter looks like he's fab!!!

I second the dog crate. I had one for my French lop (9lbs as a young adult) and I was able to fit his large cat box in it as well as his food and water. I would say a medium size or larger would be fine.

How about making a NIC cage? I used one for a French lop I had (and his bondmate) Sorry one of the pics is fuzzy. It is a photo of a print. With a good latch, he won't be able to get out.

I used the grids and the bottom floor is a piece of rolled linoleum. It isn't expensive to make at all.

IM000411.jpg

big cage.jpg

Project cage is back on track, does anyone know where I can get the NIC cubes from in the UK? Thanks!

I second the NIC condo- if you make an attached flooring (plywood + vinyl) and have a roof on it they're practically impossible to escape, and provide loads of space. Of course, it doesn't replace daily free range time.:)

Thanks, i had a look at tesco and asda online and no luck, struggling to find them in the UK, any help is much appreciated! ☺️

We have a 12 week Flemish giant who is almost as big as our full grown cats now. lol. He's a house rabbit. Have you considered letting him free roam and use a litter box? We also have a large breed dog kennel that we use to kennel him if need be.

Woah his room is so nice! I use to have one of those cages but Peter jumped out the top no problem! He is already litter trained, but because it's a shared house I need to at least have the option to be able to keep him contained! Which is not easy!

Yes those are exactly what I was after! Thank you!

Exercise pens come in heights up to 48" so, unless bunny is a climber, he won't be able to get out.

Here is a 30" tall pen that creates a large space if an existing wall is used to make the floor space larger.
In this photo, you can see that bunny would still have room to binky.
The bunny in there is about 9lbs.

sams x pen.jpg

Latest posts

Back