Moving with Melvin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybuns

Reaction score
We officially moved into a new home with our mini rex Melvin. We took the time to move all the furniture and his toys and hutch into the house and set everything up before we brought him in. Now he's here and we've never seen him so shy before. Normally he never passes up an opportunity to explore and get into trouble. In the new home he only stays on the sill between the window and couch. He will venture out for a moment then run back to his preferred spot by the window where I like to lounge and nap. He's not eating as much as he normally does, at the old place he practically begged for food 24/7 but now I have to sit him in his hutch and make him eat and even then he only eats for a minute then runs back to his couch. Also he seems a little stressed in the way he sits, normally he flops and stretches wherever but now he sits around giving he his "stink" eye like he's waiting for me to take him back to the old house. Does anyone have any suggestions to help transition Melvin more smoothly and get him back to his gregarious old self again?.View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1425083262.794855.jpg

He's adorable. My bunnies act like that whenever I take them to a different part of the house. It will probably just take him a couple of weeks to settle in and feel at home there.

We also moved recently... well it's getting close to one year now. I actually confined them to the cage for over a week. With all the commotion of a new place, they seemed content to just take in the new surroundings.

When I did let them out to start investigating they were quite cautious. My gal, Sapphire, adjusted pretty quickly, but it has taken Mocha quite a while to adjust. He took months in our old place (when we first brought him home) and it has taken him months here as well.

I think the only thing to do is just be patient. Don't switch your behavior or routine, just let him adjust to the way life will be from now on. ;) He'll come around. An occasional extra treat might help too!

Totally! Thanks for the support. Melvin is adjusting to the new home nicely. He's hopping around like he owns the place, which he kinda does. We didn't cage him or change his routine at all, just let him figure things out for himself. After hiding out in his window for a few days he began exploring cautiously for some time then ran circles around the house several times. He retreats to his little hidey spot in the corner when the neighbors dog starts barking or a cat comes into the yard. Here he is being all cute there:
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1426204056.336693.jpg

Latest posts

Back