Oliver and Noodles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kishajade

Reaction score
I got my very first lops. I got two male, 2 year old, neutered lops and I couldn't be happier. They are gorgeous and so incredibly soft. They are still very skittish and shy, they love lettuce and kale and berries. I just made them some treats with carrots, bananas, blueberries, grapes and pellets. They absolutely love them. They are not litter trained so I'm going to have to buckle down on that and their bums are a bit dirty (advice appreciated) and they have a bit of a shedding problem, however that could be from stress and the season change. I will be buying a new hair buster (I think that os what it's called) because it works like a dream! My only main concern is Noodles' teeth. I believe he has a malocclusion, the place I got him from said his teeth grew into his nostrils within two weeks and they had to clip them. I cant really afford to take him to the vet every two weeks to get them clipped, would you guys recommend I clip them at home or try the procedure where they pull all the teeth and start fresh??

View attachment 1425031201900.jpg

View attachment 1425031215275.jpg

View attachment 1425031228582.jpg

Hello there and welcome, two very cute bunnies :)

If their bums are a bit dirty from mushy poop, cut out all the fruits and treats you've started feeding (inlcuding lettuce and kale), and just keep them on their limited serving of pellets and give them as much hay as they want. New foods, especially sugary ones introduced into the diet when they're not used to them can cause gastric upsets, so it's likely the cause. Providing removing the fruits/treats works to make their poops solid, give them 1-2 weeks recover then you can slowly introduce a tiny amount of one type of leafy green or fruit at a time. Fruit should only be used as a treat, not more than 1 teaspoon amount per day (this includes carrots). Leafy greens and herbs can be fed in larger amounts 1-3 cups per day but also need to be introduced very slowly.

Malocclusion is a very serious issue, especially if the teeth are causing issues at the rate they mentioned. Teeth clipping is not something that should be done by anyone but an experienced vet/carer (someone with proper training). It really needs to be done regularly and if it isn't something you could afford, is something that should have been considered before adoption (I don't mean any offence, just concerned about the bunn is all :) ). I'm not sure when they usually recommend removal of the front incisors entirely, but it's worth visiting the vet in the near future to ask about it, although that procedure as well will likely be quite pricey, and even after the fact, the teeth can regrow if not remove entirely, and often don't regrow correctly.

I'm sure there are others on here who can give more experienced advice, but that's all I've got. They look like a pair of real cuties, and I hope something can be figured out for the malocclusion :)

I don't have much to add onto Azerane's post, but I LOVE the HairBuster combs! They work wonderfully on my mini lop who sheds like crazayyy. Well-priced, too. Oliver and Noodles are mega cuties!

Thank you guys, I plan to take Noodles into the vet on Tuesday. As for the money thing, I had already adopted the buns before they told me about the issue. I found pet insurance that covers clipping among various other things and it's only 14 a month, I think I'm going to go that route.
I'm very happy I got the buns, they didn't have the proper diet they needed, they lived on only pellets for two years and were sitting in their own poop and pee and they also used wood chips for bedding.

About the malocclusion problem, I would definitely discuss the possibility to remove the teeth with the vet you're going to see. Of course, it's not always possible (the vet will have to look at the cause of the malocclusion and it depends on which teeth are affected), but it is recommended by a lot of vets for front teeth. I've known several rabbits who lived happily without front incisors, you just had to cut their vegetables in smaller pieces so it was easier to eat.
Cutting the teeth regularly is unfortunately unavoidable in some cases but I think if removing the teeth is an option, it's worth considering - going to vet every two weeks to have his teeth cut is bound to be pretty stressful for the rabbit and not all that great for his health in the long run.
I think it's crazy you weren't informed of that particular issue beforehand. It's really bad form to put an animal to adoption without telling potential adopters about health concerns. Especially one which could require quite a lot of visits to the vet. You sound like you're taking better than I would have ^^.

I don't have much to add onto Azerane's post, but I LOVE the HairBuster combs! They work wonderfully on my mini lop who sheds like crazayyy. Well-priced, too. Oliver and Noodles are mega cuties!

Where did you get your hairbuster comb? I need something better for Bandit and I was tossing up between that and the kitty zoom groom (which they sell in stores but isn't exactly cheap for what it is).

Thank you guys, I plan to take Noodles into the vet on Tuesday. As for the money thing, I had already adopted the buns before they told me about the issue. I found pet insurance that covers clipping among various other things and it's only 14 a month, I think I'm going to go that route.
I'm very happy I got the buns, they didn't have the proper diet they needed, they lived on only pellets for two years and were sitting in their own poop and pee and they also used wood chips for bedding.

That is extremely irresponsible of the rescue then, not to inform you of that, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions there. Hopefully you can get the teeth pulled to make like easier for yourself and your bunn :)

Where did you get your hairbuster comb? I need something better for Bandit and I was tossing up between that and the kitty zoom groom (which they sell in stores but isn't exactly cheap for what it is).

That is extremely irresponsible of the rescue then, not to inform you of that, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions there. Hopefully you can get the teeth pulled to make like easier for yourself and your bunn :)

You can get them at rabbit.org/shop
It's 14.99:)

I got mine from rabbit.org, $14.99 USD for the comb and $9 USD for shipping to Australia, definitely worth it!

Latest posts

Back