Possible Thymoma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
Today my 8 yr old Mini Rex Taffy was diagnosed with what we think is Thymoma. I've seen a lot in bunnies, but never have had one with this. I've done a lot of reading and spoke with the vet some. He's recommending Metacam for her right now, to see if that helps. Over the last 1-2 months, we've noticed Taffy breathing louder. I thought there it was just snoring, because I especially noticed it when she was resting. Last night, I was doing some pictures of her, and as soon as she was picked up, I noticed harsh breathing sounds and her struggling. Activity and eating are good, but she does seem to have a harder time, the more active she is. There has been no oculo-nasal discharge noted, nor sneezing or other respiratory signs. One the radiographs, the doctor could see what appears to be a mass, raising the trachea up, partially obstructing the airway.

So, all that to ask, does anyone have experience with this? What have you done to treat your buns with this, or to at least give them palliative care?

Currently Taffy's receiving Metacam1.5mg/ml- 0.4mls BID (for the next few days at least), then we'll re-assess and go from there. For supplements, I'm giving her Healx Booster in her food, and will be getting the Oxbow Immune Support.

At her age and how she's doing, I don't feel its a good idea to take her to surgery; it's a risky surgery and likely she wouldn't make it through/recover. Radiation is mostly out in my mind, again, due to risk with anesthetizing her each time. Also, from what I've read, the growth often will often grow again a short time after radiation.

This doesn't mean I'm completely opposed to these options-just trying to figure what our options are and what risks/benefits would be involved with each. We're starting Metacam today- has anyone seen this provide their rabbit with noticeable relief? I've also heard about using Prednisone to reduce/control inflammation-does anyone have experience with this, or know if that's a viable option?

I don't have any personal experience with it. If you are mostly looking at palliative care to help give her a few more months, most cases I have read of involves the use of corticosteroids, to possibly help reduce the size and rate of growth of the thymoma. Just be aware that the use of steroids carries their own risks, especially in rabbits, so you may also encounter other health issues occurring because of their use.

Other meds that may be needed are a diuretic if there is a build up of fluid, then if the steroid is causing any gastric irritation, an acid reducer like zantac, and if there is any history of recurring infection with your bun, a covering antibiotic may be needed because the steroid will lower her immune system and make her more prone to the infection flaring up.

Here's some info on surgery and radiation if you haven't already read it.
http://www.rabbit.org/health/Rabbitthymomas.pdf

I'm really sorry this has happened to Taffy and hope you and your vet can find a good treatment plan for her.

Latest posts

Back