Apparently hit the age for nesting/burrowing...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyMarieB

Beagle Bun Mom.
Reaction score
So Meeko is probably almost five months old now, and yesterday, she was acting strange. Chewing EVERYTHING she could get her mouth around (including giving me a nip, which she's NEVER done before) and burrowing in her brother (my beagle's) dog bed blankets. I did a bit a research, and realized it was nesting behavior. Today? She decided to eat a hole in the underside of the couch to get up in the cushions and try to nest there.

I know the best way to solve this issue is to get her fixed, but I'm still trying to find a rabbit savvy vet in my area. (I found one in a thread on this board, but I'm still researching her, as I found a few reviews I'm concerned about.) But in the meanwhile, I figure I should give her something to burrow in that is all her own. Yet at the same time, I'm worried about putting another box in her hutch, for fear of her getting confused about whether it's a litter box. She's so good about going in the box, I don't want to mess that up.

So I guess I'm looking for thoughts/ideas from others who have gone through this! She isn't usually into blankets (she has a piece of fleece in her hutch where she sleeps, but she usually ignores it and sleeps on the floor instead). But if I give her a few big scraps now, would she be happy? Or should I consider some other sort of material? Is a nesting/burrowing box a good idea, or a bad one? If she has an itch to nest, I want to provide her means to do it if it makes her happy, but I don't want to confuse her either. :dunno:

I would just give her a box and a bunch of grass hay(timothy, orchard, etc) to build a nest with. Then make sure to leave it with her until she is completely done nesting(which may be several days), especially if she pulls out fur. Or if you take it away too soon she may just rip more of her fur out for a new nest. She's going to feel the need to nest no matter what you do, and it's better to give them what they need and let them at it so they don't take nesting frustrations out on you or your home. If she is free roam, you are going to need to be careful and keep your eye on her as she could destroy carpet, fabrics, etc, in her search to find nesting material(even if you provide the hay for her). So you may even need to confine her to a safe area for a few days until the false pregnancy is over.

With finding a vet, there will always be bad reviews, even with vets that are actually quite good. So you just need to do the best you can when considering the reviews you read, and pick the best rabbit vet available to you. I went through the same process not too long ago, and I know it's not easy to decide.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back