I don't know what to do...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccadaboo

Reaction score
I have a female rabbit that is about a year and a half named Aberdeen. I have owned her for just over a year and haven't had much work with rabbit. I have eventually gotten her litter box trained, but I have come to the conclusion she hates me. I have given her lots of toys and things she can play with but she doesn't use any of it and she eats very little hay. She will not come to me or anyone else. I don't know what to do with her. I am 15 and my mom doesn't like her in the bathroom. I tried moving her and all of her things into my room. She decided she was going to stay in her litter box all day and pee on my rug and in the box house that had her toys hanging from strings which she also did not play with. How do I make her more social and stop having such an attitude?

you can't say your bunny doesn't like you. (unless you definitively speak rabbit)...you are making an assumption of hate which given that rabbits aren't people you can't really assume okay. :)

She may just prefers her cage. (some rabbits do)

Have you trained her to come to you?
She may not like your version of toys.
She could be a very shy or a very self-contained rabbit.
She may not understand your rules or thoughts.
She may be frightened or over whelmed.
I find most rabbits don't like a lot of clutter in their area. They like a place to chill out in. They like knowing a spot where they can do their business. And they like to spread out a bit.
If your bunny is using her litter box as a nesting area it means she needs a different area to use as a litter area. It appears she's chosen your rug as a place to do that. So put a litter box there that she can't move and toss the peed on rug.

You need to work with your rabbit in a way that she understands.. or at least develop some understanding as to whom she is as a rabbit without assuming the worst (that she hates you). She's an animal. Train her and learn to speak her language as best you can so she can understand what you want in return.

She has not been spayed and I have tried to train her. Do you have any tips for training her cause I have tried sitting with a treat and trying to get her to come to me that way and it didn't work.

Rabbits that are spayed typically are more consistent with potty training and also can be more sociable. It could be that spaying would be a start in the right direction.

How do you have her cage and litter box set up? Rabbits often like their litter box to be in a more secluded spot. If she is peeing in the area that has hanging toys, that sounds like she likes that spot to pee. Just put the litter box where she is peeing.

How the litter box is set up can also encourage or discourage her from using it. Do you have hay in the litter box? Do you have loose bedding elsewhere in the cage (which can cause confusion about where to potty).

Some rabbits aren't interested in toys. I've had more rabbits disinterested in toys than interested. Most, however, loved to play with cardboard boxes. Very few of my rabbits will come when called. I don't think that is all that common. They will, however, come running when they know I have a treat in my hand.

As to eating hay, how much pellets do you feed her? At her age, she should have limited pellets. A 5-7 lb rabbit should get about 1/4 cup of pellets per day. If she is eating too many pellets, she won't eat much hay.

Perhaps it would be helpful to look around a rabbit website I have that shows photo of a good litter box set up and explains about bonding with your bunny and bunny proofing (among other things). Just click here to go to that site.

She will not use her littler box if there is hay in it or any bedding at all or if it is not cleaned twice a day. I will try getting more litter boxes. I started her on limited pellets but she was underweight so she currently has food all the time. She doesn't have a cage but she has found a corner in which she likes to sit.

Can you explain better exactly why you think she hates you and what makes you think she has an attitude. We need to know exact behaviors she is doing that makes you believe these things, to try and help figure out what the situation might be, as I think you are probably just misunderstanding things that are actually normal rabbit behaviors and don't at all mean what you think they mean. What toys have you given her that you say she doesn't like, and is there anything that you have noticed that she does like to do?

If you feed her unlimited pellets, that is why she isn't eating hay. Most rabbits will prefer to eat pellets over hay. When you limited her pellets, how much of them were you feeding, how much does she weigh, and did you also provide an unlimited amount of hay for her to eat(as much as she wants to eat in a day)? And what type of hay do you feed her?

You say she won't come to you. What do you do to spend time with her? Is she currently housed in your bathroom then? If she is shut in there, then how much contact does she get with people during the day? Do you ever just sit with her and for how long?

Last edited:
My rabbits free range, however they still have a cage. It is actually a good idea to have a cage for your bunny -- even if you leave the door open all the time.

The free range scenario is probably why you are having litter training difficulties. Adding more boxes isn't going to help if she doesn't want to use them. You need to get a cage and confine her in a cage with a litter box for awhile. This will teach her that the cage and litter box are "her" territory. This is how to get her trained and get her to use her litter box. I've never seen a rabbit that won't start using a litter box in this situation (caged with box that has hay in or over the box).

She may need to be kept confined for a number of days (or longer). The cage floor should be solid and the litter box have litter. If she doesn't like bedding, then switch to a pelleted litter (like Yesterdays News unscented, or wood pellets). Put the box in the cage and top it with hay.

Once she gets used to using the box, then she can gradually be allowed out again -- but only in a limited area. The area needs to be kept small to prevent accidents. Gradually the area can be expanded as she shows consistency.

Basically, she has been allowed to take full claim to the whole area and she therefore chooses to potty wherever she wants. Giving her a cage, allows her to have a "safe haven," a place she knows she won't ever be disturbed. Rabbits feel more secure having a safe place. Right now she is trying to compensate for this lack by claiming the corner. But she would likely do better and finally litter train, if she is provided with a space to call her very own.

She is currently back in the bathroom. The bathroom is left open all day with the light on and has a decent amount of foot traffic. She uses her litter box if she is in the bathroom. I have sat with her several times for about 30-45 minutes and she has only taken the treat offered a few times but only if I am really close. She is given an unlimited supply of alfalfa hay. I haven't noticed anything she likes to do because she sits in the corner all day and only comes out to eat and use her litter box.

She may become more adventurous if she has a cage - that space of her own. Rabbits need to feel secure. Once a rabbit feels secure in her cage (following my recommendations above), then she is more likely to feel confident enough to wander more.

When I bring a new rabbit home, they always stay confined in their cage a few days. Usually, when I finally open up the cage, they only slowly venture out. It is actually rather cute to watch. They will come out a little ways, then hop back in the cage to "feel secure." Bit by bit they begin to wander further as their confidence builds. But having that cage is an immense security for them. The cage should be in the place where they will be permitted to wander.

It really sounds to me like she is quite insecure - hence the staying in one spot. I do think a cage would really help.

Latest posts

Back