Calcivirus… please help me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun02

Reaction score
Okay so I live near bushland and near parks (I live in Sydney) and the council is spreading Calcivirus in the hope to control wild rabbits, what are some ways to help prevent it, I might me able to vaccinate (money troubles) but I wanted to know some more about it such as how it spreads and symptoms etc.. As well as was to help prevent it🐰🐇

Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate! Honestly that is going to be your best bet at prevention.

How scary. Here is some info from the HRS that you might find useful:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/vhd.html

I would not allow outdoor time if I were you, and be careful where you walk/leave your shoes at the door as to not track anything in.

Vaccination is the best course of action, it is highly worth ringing around your local vets and asking costs for vaccination, mention that you don't require a health check, just a vaccination, I'm not sure how many clinics would just charge for the vaccine, possible not many. But for a normal consult and vaccination you should be looking at or below $70.

Calicivirus is highly contagious and not only spreads through biting insects and contact with other rabbits, but survives well on the environment and can be spread simply by having your shoes come into contact with substrate that has the virus and then wearing those shoes back at home and around your rabbit. It has a short incubation period, and in most cases will cause death within 1-2 days. There really isn't a lot you can do once your rabbit has the virus, you can opt for a vet visit, but I would think that many vets would recommend a rabbit with confirmed diagnosis be put down, as the chance of survival is low and the animal would suffer a lot in the meantime. Having said that, I believe many rabbits die before symptoms become obvious enough to take counter measures.

Keep your rabbit indoors, if you go walking in parks etc where you know wild rabbits to be, as already suggested, leave your shoes outside and minimise contact of that outdoor clothing with your rabbit. Calicivirus is no joke, vaccination is absolutely crucial.

Symptoms can include; lethargy, uneasiness/excitement, loss of appetite, paralysis, convulsions and bleeding from mouth, nose and rectum. However it may spread so quickly that the rabbit dies without symptoms. It is fatal in approximately 70-100% of domestic rabbit cases.

Last edited:
:pray: Thoughts going out to all our Sydney buns! Please make sure your vaccinations are up-to-date!

Sometimes rabbit rescues actually have the vaccine and they might be able to vaccinate for a smaller fee than a vet would, it's worth looking into.

I'm in New Zealand. Some people believe pet rabbits get it from the hay, because of course wild rabbits live in the hay fields and the hay grass could get contaminated before it is harvested and baled. So, people try to store and age their hay by 3-4 months, long enough for the virus to die. I think they say Calici can live on surfaces 110 days. So, age your hay. And yes get him vaccinated.

Also, I think the vaccine in Australia may be like the one in New Zealand and if it is the vile for the vaccine comes in 10 doses so if you vaccinate one rabbit they charge you for 10 doses. Here people try to gather other people with rabbits and take 10 rabbits to the vet so they can split the cost which makes it way cheaper. If I where you I would try to see if there is a local rabbit club online because they often organise vaccinations so they are cheaper. There are also some rabbit clubs in Australia that have Facebook pages and you could ask there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/216979665107431/

I own 7 rabbits and my friend owns 4 so if is like that we should be covered

Latest posts

Back