Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebills

Reaction score
I just recently had to put one of my rabbits down she was ten years old on New Years Eve.I have another one a male eight years old.I have notice now he is not eating his hay he eats his lettuce and pellets not sure why he is not eating his hay.Any suggestions?

I give my rabbit quarter cup pellets give him romane leaf lettuce carrot tops parsley

Our Checkered Giant is getting near the end, at 12 years and has pretty much stopped eating hay too. Since she's never had a sludge problem and doesn't really have that much time left, I got her some alfalfa and she's eating it like she used to do with Timothy. In the past with the younger buns that were healthy I reduced or removed the pellets till they started eating hay like they should have all along. Our old girl has gotten really thin and doesn't get around too well so I give her as much pellet as she wants too. She's had a good life since we rescued her and she's just been an amazing, loving bunny that this is very hard on me.

Is it a new bag or bale of hay you are feeding, or have you changed hay recently? Any signs of dental problems like odd chewing behavior or drooling. Has your bun had a dental exam by your vet recently? Changes in eating and selectively eating certain foods can sometimes be an indication of dental problems like molar spurs, elongated roots, or infection.

It is a new bag of hay haven't changed his hay no chewing behavior.Like i said i had to put my female rabbit down New Years Eve not sure if that has anything to do with him not eating his hay.

Were the two rabbits bonded? Why was the female euthanized? Many rabbits find hay to be the least delicious part of their diet and it's also the hardest to eat. This could be the first sign of a dental problem. If he hasn't seen a vet recently for a checkup, now's a good time to do it.

Back