Noises driving me insane!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseynicholson93

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help because if I don't figure something out I'm if raid i might go insane! I have my two rabbits in a large 4x2x3 wire and wood cage with vinyl tile on the bottom two levels and foam mats covered by blankets on the top. They are kept in my bedroom and the odd thump or bump here or there does not bother me. Recently however my one rabbit jack has developed a VERY annoying habit. He used to dig the bottom of the cage 2 or 3 times like a dog before plopping over and laying down but just in the last couple month has begun digging the cage bottom and biting it like a maniac. He will run around digging and digging and digging like he's looking for something and nothing will make him stop even when I try to spook him or get his attention to stop him he doesn't care. He will do it for hours too, not just a couple times. It is becoming very hard for me I can't fall asleep, I'm woken up at 5 am most days. My parents in the next room are getting very frustrated and are threatening to make me get rid of them if it doesn't stop. If anyone has any advice on how to make him stop this behavior or something that I can put on the bottom of their cage to at least suppress the very loud sound I would greatly appreciate it I don't want to lose my babies they're my world :( I will attach a pic of their cage to help! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1422097113.324037.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1422097150.070857.jpg

The Baron has a litter box full of peat (or dirt as I call it) this seems to be one of his favorite digging areas and digging in soft peat is more quiet than a tiled floor. Another thing is the Baron's blue gym shorts. This is his second favorite digging device, an old pair of gym shorts.

Mainly your rabbit is just trying to keep his claws in check. These are burrowing animals by nature and biting is just another "necessary evil" they need to keep their teeth trim or they will grow tusks. I happen to keep pine cones and drift wood from the banks of the river near his living quarters.

As for noise Baron has a sonic boom trick that rocks the house. I can sleep through a four alarm fire... in fact I have. I don't have any issues with noise, but the items I have mentioned may lower it a few decibels. Good luck to you and Jack working this out!

The cage is open and they get free roam of the room whenever I am home so approximately 3-4 hours minimum a day. I will see if I can make something that will allow him to dig but keep it down! If anyone else has suggestions I'd be happy to hear them!

We use a giant litter box full of shredded newspaper--they play in it and dig too, just not as annoying as what you describe. I always try to remind everyone that rabbits don't wear watches and most are very active at night. Might want to try ear plugs.

You might want to move the cage as far away from the wall that joins your parents room so they can't hear it. And get some of the comfortable ear plugs that swimmers use that are like soft wax for yourself. I can't think of anything that will keep him for digging, sorry.

Well thank you all for your input, I have added some digging stuff like some of you have suggested and put more things in the cage to try to keep them from boredom. I guess I will have to buy some ear plugs! It's just frustrating because I have had jersey for almost a year now and jack for 7 months and they have never been a problem up until recently :( ill do some room re arranging to hopefully make it less loud for my parents, if I have to sleep with earplugs that's one thing but my parents definitely will not :/

Back