Rabbit Breed Suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitCarlie

RabbitCarlie
Reaction score
So.. this is kind of a random question but I thought I would ask you guys anyways. I'd love to get a rabbit friend for my current rabbit eventually, maybe not at the moment but definitely in the future. I LOVE big rabbits but it's extremely unrealistic for me to get one because I don't think I'd have the space or the capability to take care of one. My current rabbit will probably only grow to around 3 pounds, but I'd love to get a rabbit slightly larger than that. Does anyone know any rabbits breeds roughly anywhere from 4 to 8 pounds? I think it would be cool to get a rabbit around that weight even if it is not exactly considered a huge rabbit. Preferably breeds that are not uncommon. Thanks so much! :bunnyhug:

Ps.. I would definitely get a rescue if I was to get another rabbit, it was just a thought. :bunny24

Holland Lops, Polish, Mini Lops, Lionheads, a Netherland Dwarf/New Zealand mix. I actually really liked that mix. They were around 5-6 lbs, with short ears and fur, and inquisitive, friendly personalities. But not too many folks do that :D

If you are getting a rescue rabbit, there's a good chance it will be a mix breed anyway. So maybe don't worry about the specific breed.

As for size, the rescued rabbits will be already fixed, so you will also be seeing them at their full size. You'll know just what you are getting as far as size goes.

But even more important than breed or size is whether or not your current rabbit will be receptive to a particular rabbit. It is really up to your rabbit to do the choosing since rabbit bonding is never a sure thing. Once your rabbit is fixed and healed, it is recommended that your bring him/her to a rescue to do some bunny "dates" to see which other rabbit shows potential compatibility.

Bonding depends mostly on the willingness of the rabbits involved.

I would definitely make sure to see if I could bring my rabbit on bunny dates, it was just a thought. :) Thanks for the advice!

I've got a young adult Flemish myself, and he lives in an X-pen in my room. I'd say that as long as you provide a big enough litter box and living space (and some time out of the cage), taking care of a larger rabbit isn't much different than a smaller rabbit. But maybe I'm just biased <3

I am very partial to mini rexes. They get to be about 3 to 5lbs generally, are incredibly soft, and have good personalities as far as my experience with them goes. However, as stated, rescues are great. Cross breed rabbits can be very intersting, fun, friendly, and so comical. I am sure there are plenty of friend chioces out there! Good luck!

Sometimes a humane society/animal shelter may let you bring your bunny in for some social interaction with their rabbits during playtime/cage cleaning. This is kind of a grey area for obvious reasons, but if this is an option to you if recommend taking your rabbit for a little "meet and greet" and see if there are any particular rabbits that he takes a liking to. Of course, if that's not an option I'd just make sure you spend some time with each rabbit at the shelter and look for personality traits that may work well with your bun. Consider getting a rabbit around the same age and size of your bunny.

Latest posts

Back