Pellet food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_TOX

Reaction score
Hey
I just ran out of food food for my bun. It's the one with like pellets and seeds and stuff. Do they need to have a constant supply of that like with gay or is it okay to go without for a week? I'm going to buy more regardless I just want to know for future so I don't have this problem again. If she has hay and veggies and greens is that enough or does she need the pellets?

Normally, up to a week without pellets is okay, but a nursing mum needs a LOT of nutrition. If she has had greens before and is used to having moderate-large amounts of greens in her daily diet, it is okay to leave off pellets and just increase her greens for a week. But if pellets made up most of her diet, it is important to replace her pellets as soon as possible.

Once her baby is weaned, or her next pack of pellets is running low, you may consider transitioning her to plain pellets. Pellet brands with seeds and stuff are made to look good to humans, but are actually not very healthy for bunnies. Good pellet brands such as Oxbow, Burgess, and Sherwood Forest make plain pellets that prevent picky eating and are low in sugars and fat (which seeds are very high in). I myself use Oxbow and Harringtons for my buns.

Might be a little hard going a week without the pellets, given the situation. Nursing does need extra protein right now and I don't know if she can get enough through veggies. I'd try to get more pellets as soon as you can and in the meantime find foods that are good sources of protein to give her.

I did go pick up the stuff the day I posted tried looking for those brand but couldn't instead I got normal pellet food from purina

Just for future info, it's usually best to gradually transition over when changing to a new type and/or brand of pellet. A rabbits digestive system develops microflora specific to the food that it normally eats, and when foods are suddenly changed or introduced too quickly, this can sometimes disrupt the delicate balance and cause digestive problems, sometimes serious ones. So as a general rule with rabbits, you always want to introduce or change any new foods gradually. With pellets, you add a small amount of new and decrease the same amount of old, then each day gradually increase/decrease the amount, so that at the end of two weeks you will be all switched over. With veg/herbs/forage you just start with a small amount for a couple days, watching for signs of digestive upset, and if ok, gradually increase the amount over a week or two. Signs of digestive upset might be mushy poop or signs of gas pain.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/knowing-when-your-rabbit-needs-emergency-treatment.html

This gradual introduction of new foods, just gives the rabbits digestive system, a chance to adapt to the new foods. The exception to this is grass hays. These are almost always well tolerated with sudden introduction.

Sorry should of made it more clear, When i posted this I went the next day to get the normal food I get her. Then today I went and got the new brand, So I will definitely do it gradually! Thanks for letting me know!

Latest posts

Back