Strange Behavior with my Holland Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyCutie

Super Buns!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, and I have two Holland Lop sisters: Yuki and Fluffy. They'll be 3 years old next year in April, and they haven't mated with any male rabbit yet. We can't afford another rabbit though.
They both live in a hutch in the backyard, we cover them at night with a tarp, and they seem pretty fine.
Yesterday, I went to see them, and both of them were resting side by side. I pet Yuki, but when I pet Fluffy, Yuki gets alarmed or something and rushes at my hand. Then I try to calm her down, but she nips me. She's done that before when she was months old. Then Fluffy gets up and goes a few paces away, and then Yuki goes around her back and pushes, or nips her twice and Fluffy goes away. Was Yuki jealous, or protecting her sister. Fluffy has also been mounting Yuki, and as I've heard, to show she's the dominant rabbit.
I don't know what to do, is it urgent that they have to mate?:(

P.S: Do you know if there's a hospital where I can spay them, the price at least has to be 50 dollars maximum:twocents:, in South Florida please?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new here, and I have two Holland Lop sisters: Yuki and Fluffy. They'll be 3 years old next year in April, and they haven't mated with any male rabbit yet. We can't afford another rabbit though.
They both live in a hutch in the backyard, we cover them at night with a tarp, and they seem pretty fine.
Yesterday, I went to see them, and both of them were resting side by side. I pet Yuki, but when I pet Fluffy, Yuki gets alarmed or something and rushes at my hand. Then I try to calm her down, but she nips me. She's done that before when she was months old. Then Fluffy gets up and goes a few paces away, and then Yuki goes around her back and pushes, or nips her twice and Fluffy goes away. Was Yuki jealous, or protecting her sister. Fluffy has also been mounting Yuki, and as I've heard, to show she's the dominant rabbit.
I don't know what to do, is it urgent that they have to mate?:(

P.S: Do you know if there's a hospital where I can spay them, the price at least has to be 50 dollars maximum:twocents:, in South Florida please?

Thanks.

Hey, When I was growing up I had 2 female rabbits who grew up together and on occasion they would do this as well.
I believe they were just in heat.
When they are younger, they are at the peak of their maturity and the hormones which is why you would have noticed it then.
Because they had both never been bred, they didn't know how to handle their hormones. If you find its to bad, or one of them is getting very irritated, just take them out one at a time for a bit and spend some time with them to give them a break from the other.
I wouldn't worry about getting them a mate.
If you don't want them to be in heat and act this way on occasion, you could consider getting them spayed which will eliminate this issue.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for this help. They're ok now, I think they were just stressed too. Thanks for answering so quickly!

They are so cute as someone with two lops I can relate, and rushed out to get mine fixed and found the behavior at times did not change.
Sometimes it will and other times it's dependent on the rabbit and their personality.

Good luck with them and they are CUTIES!

Vanessa

Back