A few questions about our new bunnies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderandstorm

Reaction score
How can we litter box train them? would a 3 level 3 ft w, 5ft long, 5 ft high cage be big enough for two bunnies for indoor use? Also what is a good harness to walk them with so they can explore outside? The mom was not that big. These guys are babies.

stor.jpg

thun.jpg

Litter training is more easily done once they are fixed. Some younger ones will take to training as well. It is pretty much a matter of just providing a good size litter box that has hay on top of the bedding. Keep loose bedding out of the rest of the cage floor.

Forget harnesses for now. With young bunnies, they don't need to be going outside to explore. It is safer for them to just stay indoors. Their tummies are also extra sensitive when young, so bringing them outside where there is grass, could be risky since it changes their diet.

Once they are older, you may bring them outside occasionally. But it certainly isn't necessary. If I ever bring mine outside, I use an x-pen so they can explore without the restraint of a harness. Harness are best left to those who are very experienced with them. Most harnesses are quite dangerous for rabbits anyway. There are some RO members on here who do agility with their rabbits. They are much more experienced with harnesses and understand the potential dangers for us novices using them. Unless you plan on doing agility, just use an x-pen to block off an area. Just wait until bunnies are older.

For more detail on potty training, check here. Your cage size is fine if bunnies get plenty of time out of cage (in bunny-proofed area) to run around.

I wouldn't put a harness on them until they are about 4 to 5 months old. they look quiet young and small for that. I use the "H" style cat harness for my mini rexes. Also, if that is the way you want to go, you might want to check online for harnesses especially designed for rabbits. The pet store vests are not adquate in my experience. As far as harnesses being unsafe.........I have heard that before. But as stated, they are used for agility so there is probably rabbit safe harnesses. I have just not done the agility training myself yet.

Hey!

I posted awhile ago about littertraining and how I was distraught because it wasn't working... But now he is perfect and I am so happy!

I will tell you how I did it. My rabbit is free roam in a room. I began with giving him a small area using an X pen fence. He had enough room for a litter box, his hut, food/water and an area to lay down on the floor if he wanted to stretch out. I kept him like this for 5 days. After 5 days I was going to re evaluate and see if he had stopped pooping on the floor or if he was going in the litter box. Around day 4 he just started going in the litter box. Nothing changed from day 1 and 2 and 3, he just started.

Then I expanded his area to the whole room (taking away the X pen) and was going to keep him like that for 2 days and re-evaluate in two days. He did end up having some mishaps and pooping in other places, so I X penned him again with the same set up as initially for 5 days. He "re-trained" himself and started just going in the box.I then took away the X pen and made sure he stayed consistent with the litter box pooping while free range. He did! Now he is great and just uses the litter box with some occasional scattered poops for marking because he is not neutered. I will probably be neutering him some time in the future.

Initially when I was very frustrated because he wasn't using the litter, I was using just regular cat litter. However, I did switch over to shredder paper and that was successful.

GOODLUCK! The most important thing I would say is don't give up hope. Even though it appears as though they are poooping everywhere, unaware, it will get better!
Yes mine took not so long, but he was also apparently pre litter trained from the place I adopted him home.

Just stay consistent and don't lose hope!

:bambiandthumper

Latest posts

Back