Bonded Does fighting after 3.5 years - help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tafeh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had Harley and Quinn for over 3.5 years - they started out with me in Swansea, moved to Reading and then have lived with me in 4 more different places in Manchester and through splitting with my ex who I originally got them for / with.

Harley has always been the human friendly one (and the one I fell for as a surrogate child), Quinn has always been the skittish and grumpy one preferring her own company, under a table or with Harley - with the occasional interest in humans only if you didn't touch her and remained still. If you approach her she mainly tries to box you, bite and grunt.

My partner and I recently moved into a house we've purchased which male cats lived in. Whilst we were away for a weekend at her dad's funeral, our friends who are also rabbit owners heard them fighting under our sofa. I came home to find Harley stressed and not wanting to move - even for the bathroom.

We separated them for a while after seeing the vet who uncovered several wounds on Harley's back. Quinn we noticed a lump on her breast to which we arranged for it to be removed along with having her spayed at the same time. Just before the op, things were starting to get back to normal where they would lie together and groom.

Since the op, about 3 weeks ago Quinn has done nothing but go for Harley. Even to the point where she's throwing herself at the pen rails that separate them both. Harley runs whenever she sees quinn coming now, and I mostly have to give them separate time out of their pens.

I did think it may have been the male cat smell that was in our hallway - to which i've removed with vinegar & baking soda.

After all this time passed of happiness - where they have been good friends and there for each other its hard to see it come to this. I'm lost, and although Harley was my choice and Quinn my ex's, I've kept looking after them together.

Any help or advice to re-introdce H & Q would be much appreciated :)

(Yay for the Batman fandom!)

I have heard of bonds breaking after a visit to the vet. When bunnies come back smelling different, they may not recognise each other. What you have now are two essentially stranger bunnies, they are behaving exactly as my Merlin and Sasha did when I first brought Sasha home. They will need to be re-introduced from scratch, as if they have never known each other and cannot be trusted together.

Of course, do not start bonding them until you are 100% sure they have recovered from the ops with no complications. Pain will make a bunny much more aggressive than they normally are. Also - are they spayed? If so:

Moving to a new house is actually the perfect time to introduce them, because there are many areas in your new house that neither can claim as their territory. There are many resources online on bonding bunnies, here is a useful link to start you off: http://www.wheekwheekthump.com/2013...rs-guide-rabbit-bonding-everything-need-know/

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back