Seemingly bloated bunny?!?!?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samcahh

Reaction score
I got home today after being gone from my bunny for two days, and when i held her she seemed a little bloated to me. Her stomach seems hard and rounder than usual and am just looking for some insight anyone might have?
I wasn't able to see what she might have gotten into when i was away but she was in her cage the entire time so i don't think she could have eaten anything bad?
She is out of her cage right now, running around and has a lot of energy. She also ate some fresh greens and pellets i gave her when i got home so she does have an appetite.
Her vet is closed tomorrow so i wouldn't be able to take her until monday if something is seriously wrong.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Bloat is very serious. Does her tummy feel firm and hard like a metal balloon, or soft like a normal human tummy? If she is bloated, I would highly recommend an emergency vet visit right away. But if she is acting completely normal and energetic, it's probably not bloat. It may be a case of gas.

How old is she, and has she had the pellets and fresh veg before you got her? Bunnies under 6 months need very VERY slow introduction to fresh veggies, in fact if any bunny is introduced too quickly to an unfamiliar food their gut bacteria may not be able to handle it and it may cause bad gas.

Haru is 1 yr 9 months old and I've had her since she was a month old. she's had the fresh veggies and pellets often before. She's eating pretty well normally and things like that, my brother did just tell me that he refilled her water dripper earlier today and she drank the entire thing (which usually she never does so quickly) so i was thinking maybe that could be the reason she has a little round belly? her stomach isn't super hard like i can press into it still, it just feels like a human belly when we're bloated.

If she happened to run out of water and became a bit dehydrated, it's possible that she may have drank too much when it was refilled, and so has an extra full belly. If this is the case, it should get back to normal in a few hours. As long as she is eating, pooping, and behaving normally, then she for sure doesn't have true bloat, as that is extremely painful and will cause a rabbit to stop eating and show signs of being in severe pain. If she stops eating/pooping, her belly becomes more distended, and/or she is showing signs of being in pain, then definitely get her to a vet immediately.

keep a close eye on her. Monitor her behaviour and watch for signs of distress... sitting in corner, eyes half closed, looking uncomfortable. turning away from you to sit quiet those kinds of signs.

She has been eating and has poo'd and peed...i cleaned her cage as soon as i came home so it is apparent that she is defacating. She's also eating and drinking but i still think she feels a bit rounder than usual....however her temperament and energy are the same as always

Back