sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about sore hocks. Tonight when we took the rabbits to the pet store for a lil romp, I noticed that SunDancer seemed to have a couple of small scabs, one on the bottom of each foot toward the ankle. They weren't open sores or bleeding, but definately small scabs. She does have a wire bottom cage that is lined with a blanket. I am thinking about getting those plastic cover liner thingies they sell at rabbit shows to prevent sore hocks.

What I am wondering is, what can be done to help them heal. Is there a topical ointment that is safe for rabbits.

Are they actually scabs or just calloused? SunDancer is a rex isn't she? Does she also get much playtime, and is it primarily on carpet?

yes, SunDancer is a mini rex, and she gets a good amount of play time each day. We do not have carpeted floors, we have hard wood lamenate flooring. But, we put down pet blankets in their play area.

Rex tend to be more prone to sore hock issues. Though the wire floor could be contributing, hard flooring and carpeting when rabbits are let out to play, can also play a big part. Carpeting can be really rough on their feet, and hard flooring causes rabbits to shift their body weight back onto their hocks more, increasing the pressure and rubbing on the heal.

Key is managing the flooring surface as much as possible. Fleece, sherpa fleece, and the foam tile mats can help a lot with managing sore hocks. Soft hay really is the best surface, but not often doable, especially for indoor buns. It's usually better not to be applying ointments or anything unless it has gotten to the point that the hocks are very sore and there are wounds that need treating(and then other measures also need to be taken), as the ointments will soften the skin and make then even more prone to soreness. But if there are open wounds or sores, then ointments(and possibly a vet visit and antibiotics) may be needed to help with healing, but this will also require covering the area to protect it and keep the ointment from being rubbed or licked off immediately. I know some owners have used baby socks to protect their buns feet, and vet wrap can be used, though needs to be used with caution and best used under vet advise, as wrapping it too tightly can be disastrous.

If my buns feet aren't bad, sore skin with no wounds, I've just changed flooring surfaces to fix the problem. If they are slightly bad with minor abrasions(no infection and no swelling), baby socks(if bun will tolerate) and some ointment to help the sore heal. If they are getting more severe and there may be a risk of infection and/or inflammation, you should take your bun to your vet. If in doubt of the severity, always best to consult your vet.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=69718&page=2
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Last edited:
Sore hocks typically stem from a genetic issue...rabbits without well furred hocks have more of a problem. Rather than have the blanket cover the whole wire floor you might just cover part of it (the blanket can cause friction), and use the plastic rest pads you find at rabbit shows for the rest of the floor. That would also allow air to get to her feet, since they're slotted.

Last edited:
The rabbit rescue lady at petco looked at them today. She thought SunDancer was fine, just to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt get worse.

I use newspapers and cardboard to line the floor of my bun's hutch and his little hidey holes. I have hard wood floors and ceramic tiles that he hops on regularly too. I haven't seen any sore hocks yet. Does anyone know if nail clipping affects sore hocks at all? I heard if you cut the nails back too short that it can disrupt their weight distribution and contribute to sore hocks, anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I use newspapers and cardboard to line the floor of my bun's hutch and his little hidey holes. I have hard wood floors and ceramic tiles that he hops on regularly too. I haven't seen any sore hocks yet. Does anyone know if nail clipping affects sore hocks at all? I heard if you cut the nails back too short that it can disrupt their weight distribution and contribute to sore hocks, anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Actually, no. I think it's the opposite. If the rabbit's nails are too long it changes the weight distribution so that they're leaning back on their hocks more.

good news, it seems as if the spots are clearing up! Didn't do a whole lot different other than make sure the entire floor ofher cage was covered. Thanks for all the tips. I think I will get those plastic tile thingies they have at the rabbit shows. Hopefully they will help.

Latest posts

Back