Rabbit not eating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel_the_Rabbit

Reaction score
Noel hasn't been eating much lately, and he is pooping a lot too, I'm not sure if he wants more time out or not. I usually give him 2-3 hours of play time,

Are you offering him fresh greens at least once per day and unlimited hay? Pellets should only make up a small percentage of the diet if at all. Some dont even feed pellets. If he's pooping, he's eating. Keep offering up lots of unlimited hay and a serving of greens and pellets if you feed them. The concern is when they start losing weight and stop pooping.

I'd say take away greens, and give unlimited hay. Pellets have everything a rabbit needs in them, some rabbitrys don't feed anything except pellets.

I strongly disagree with the above comment, I firmly believe a rabbit needs pellets in its diet.

Can you go into more detail about your rabbit not eating much and pooping a lot? What has changed in his eating, what is his usual diet like(what do you feed him each day), how long has it been going on, what is he eating now and how much, have you noticed any other changes of behavior? Has anything been changed in his diet or environment recently? Have you noticed any odd chewing behavior, dropping food from his mouth, or drooling? Is he selectively feeding, only eating certain foods?

What do you mean by him pooping a lot? Have there been changes in his poop, is it mushy, or are they smaller than usual? Usually when a rabbit isn't eating very much or stops eating, they also won't poop as much and the poop may get smaller.

I'd say take away greens, and give unlimited hay. Pellets have everything a rabbit needs in them, some rabbitrys don't feed anything except pellets.

I strongly disagree with the above comment, I firmly believe a rabbit needs pellets in its diet.

Er... You are aware that rabbits are meant to eat grass and vegetables and that pellets are a really recent addition in their diet. Pellets are easy as giving a balanced diet with only vegetables means giving lots of different vegetables and giving some thoughts about what you are feeding. They are good as a dietary supplement as they contain vitamins and mineral salts but they are fattening, don't contain enough fibers, nor water, they don't cater to the need of the rabbit to chew and don't wear out the rabbit's teeth. Pellets are good but, like Channahs said (and that's pretty much common knowledge now), they should represent the smallest part of the rabbit's diet.

Besides, here it's not the problem. Like JBun I think we are missing some info to answer. How do the poos look like? What do you mean by "pooping a lot"? What is he eating exactly? When did he start eating less?
2-3 hours of play time isn't a lot, you might want to increase that anyway or to attach a play pen to your rabbit's cage.

Setting the pellet debate aside, I don't think the amount of time he's out of his cage has much, if anything, to do with his eating/pooping changes. As Jenny said, we need more information to figure out what's going on there.

hello
how bout we all be respectful.
i'm sure nobody here is deliberately feeding the wrong things.
if i didn't give my rabbit pellets, i dont know what would happen.
hes happy and healthy and gets a variety of greens from my garden, including parsley, kale, roses, their leaves, silverbeet, dandelions, nasturtiums, odd bit of basil or oregano... the list goes on. a good handful a couple of times a day at least.
he eats hay if he wants, but i hardly think he does. he would eat nothing but grass when i first got him, so thats what i gave him.
everybody is trying here, lets just be kind, please.
but im thinking with this bunny, maybe there is a bit of an imbalance, but i would think smaller, few, dried poos are the big pronblem, and runny ones, sometimes. but lots of poos, sounds normal?

Latest posts

Back