Bunny became un-litter trained?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiff

Reaction score
So I got my bunny when she was about 2 months old, she is now 4 months old. I started her off in a cat-sized litter pan but noticed she was a bit too small and weary of jumping in and out, so I gave her a smaller, shallower container. She has been litter trained ever since.

Until tonight.

As she's been growing, she's gotten too big for her small litter container, she'd be eating her hay and her butt would be too close to the edge and she'd wind up peeing out of the container, so I switched to the original cat-sized container. I know she can jump high enough.. But she;s not using it. So I cut an opening into the front to make sure she wasn't weary of jumping in and out. No dice. She is still pooping on the floor of her cage.

What happened? How can I fix this? Do I have to train her all over again? Will I have to train her again in the future when I get her new litter boxes?

I had a similar problem that was not related to the territorial issues previously mentioned. In case your issue is not about that...

You may already have this style but this ended up working for me:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00074VWJM/

The front is lower and the back is higher. I put some hay in the front and he will not urinate there. I tried to find a litter box that was very similar to the old one. Since I put it in the same place and used the same bedding, there was not an issue.

Also, if she is jumping into it, is the floor of the box covered with newspaper? My rabbit does not like jumping into or onto things where he does not have traction. If she jumps in the larger box and slides, that might be a problem. I buy bulk plain news print because it is cheaper than subscribing to the newspaper.

Latest posts

Back