My adolescent bunny is getting aggressive.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplesophiaa

Reaction score
I've done my research and I understand that I need to neuter my rabbit to stop the aggression, but what happens if I don't? Will she continue to be aggressive? How do I make her stop chewing and digging EVERYTHING.

It could become part of your bunny's personality if you don't correct him/her for it. Give your bunny things he/she can chew and dig at and correct them from doing it to things their not suppose to. Train your bunny or they will train you.

If you don't, your rabbit will continue being aggressive. She will probably become territorial too (which can eventually lead to spraying pee on the walls and pretty much everywhere... believe me it's awful) and there will be a point in time when the spaying won't have as much effect on her personality because she will have behaved that way too long. As an added bonus, your bunny risks false pregnancies, which will make her stressed out, can give her mastitis and serious health problem. In the end, your bunny will probably have ovarian cancer, which generally develop after 2 or 3 years and will kill your bunny around 4.
Spaying will reduce the digging, the aggression, the health problems and give you a (mostly) clean rabbit. There is nothing to do against chewing though. You have to protect the things she chews and give her safe things to chew, like apple or hazelnut tree branches, cardboard boxes... and be patient. It will lessen as your rabbit gets older. My girl is 5 and a half and it's been a long time since she's last done something naughty. Tybalt was a nightmare during the first year and he's steadily getting better (neutering did him lots of good, because he was the worst adolescent bunny I ever had, destroying and peeing EVERYWHERE, waking me up every night by jumping on the furniture, ate tons of my books... he was a nightmare).

I've done my research and I understand that I need to neuter my rabbit to stop the aggression, but what happens if I don't? Will she continue to be aggressive? How do I make her stop chewing and digging EVERYTHING.

It depends. A 'teenage' rabbit is going to be hormonal, but by the time they are a year old they typically settle down, though not always. Unaltered does don't typically spray. We've had many unaltered rabbits and only had one femaile who sprayed. Spaying and neutering is certainly a good idea if you can do it, but it doesn't cure all problems.

Some are still aggressive after a neuter--this is where "you train the bunny, don't let the bunny train you" comes into play. A bunny that chews and digs is normal, so you have to channel those urges to things that are safe and won't be missed.

Latest posts

Back