Silly question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
What happens to the chewed toilet paper rolls? Do they eat it? I never see any chewed up pieces

Depends on the rabbit. Some may eat them and if they're eating a little bit that's not a problem, but if they're scarfing them down I would stop giving them to them.

Your bunny will be just fine, cardboard is safe for rabbits to play with and chew on. If your bunny is eating the cardboard, I'd imagine it will pass through fine. I can't imagine your bunny is eating toilet paper rolls though, lol! Probably just chewing them up.

Usually rabbits will just rip them up and maybe ingest small bits each day. The problem encountered when too much cardboard is consumed, is that it doesn't break down in the digestive system, and can form a gooey mass that can become an obstruction that leads to a GI blockage. I have read of personal accounts from other rabbit owners, where their rabbit has developed a blockage and gone into GI stasis due to excessive amounts of cardboard being ingested. It can even be fatal.

So it is certainly a concern. In most cases rabbits will just play with the tp tubes and not really chew and eat much of it. But if you feel like a lot of it is being eaten in a small amount of time, it may be better to use chew toys that are safer for your bun to chew, like willow toys, apple sticks, hard(dried) pine cones, and other rabbit safe wood.

It is okay for your rabbit to chew and even eat a little bit of toilet paper rolls, but if you find that your rabbit is eating them like crazy you might want to find a different toy. Too much can be dangerous for your bunny's tummy.

Latest posts

Back