Need help ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady_TOX

Reaction score
Hey
Today I started noticing that my bunny might be nesting. She started nesting in her litter (lovely) hoping to have it a phantom pregnancy most likely is because I just got her on the 11th of this month. From a shelter. That's not really the problem she's trying to find a new place to nest as I had cleaned her cage. She kept digging at the bottom of her cage and wasn't happy where she was I opened up the cage and now every thirty secs or when she sees me she thumps. I know her thumping to much can be a problem. She has the fur in her mouth looking for an area but she keeps thumping at me. I'm staying a distance right now to let her do her thing, but what should I do it's been ten minuets now and she still doing it

Give her a cardboard box big enough for her to turn around in, and a big pile of hay or newspaper strips to build a nest with. Then just let her build her nest. Best to let her do this in her own cage, just in case it could be a real pregnancy. And to prevent her from wanting to add any of your household items(such as ripping up carpet) to her nest.

Also helping her to clear the fur out of her mouth when she starts adding it to her nest, would be good so she doesn't swallow any of it. Watch out for bunny teeth if she is acting grumpy at all.

Considering she comes from a shelter, I'm supposing she's been spayed?
It's really rare to have phantom pregnancy with spayed rabbits... :huh

Spayed I was going to do it within the next couple months when I have money and she hasn't been around any rabbits since I got her. Plus no other rabbits with her when I got her

Then, there is not a lot you can do. As said before, give her a place to make a nest and live it until she is spayed. She will make it again everytime you destroy it and it will agitate her even more. Phantom pregnancies can last up to 3 weeks. Check she is not producing milk, though (swollen mammary, produce milk when you press lightly) as it can be really dangerous for her health. It's not common, but it sometimes happens.

Get her spayed when you can and it will stop the phantom pregnancies (and make her less moody). Anyway, it's best not to spay during a phantom pregnancy as the uterus is sometimes really readying itself for "babies" which means there is a lot more blood flowing in the area and that provokes a higher risk of hemmoraghe during the procedure. Again, not excessively common, but better be safe than sorry ^^

I'm not worried about her nesting lol sorry if I didn't make that clear, I was more worried about her thumping so much it went in for like fifteen minutes and I was worried about her getting to panicked. But I do have a new question, since she is refusing to nest in the box I get her she keeps nesting in her litter box, is she going to pee and poop in her litter box if she is nesting there? I just pulled her out and she almost immediately peed on me and then on my carpet, oh my lol I just laughed but I'm worried about her holding it in to much

Ah, OK. Some rabbits are just thumpers ^^. Aki almost never does, whereas Pandora did it all the time, trying to look big and impressive. I don't think it's anything to worry about. They tend to calm down whenever I come and pet them (except when there is thunder, which spook them a lot even if they live inside the house).
And in your case, your rabbit wasn't scared, just not happy and letting you know.
About the nest, I've never heard of a rabbit not going to the litter box because the nest is here. On the other hand, considering that your rabbit is hormonal, she will probably be a little pig and pee/poo everywhere until the spay. Tybalt was like that from month 2 and a half until his neutering, 2 months later. He was peeing EVERYWHERE and it went very high on the walls, on my other rabbit... I wanted to chuck him out the window XD Stopped the day of the neutering.

Not all unaltered rabbits will pee/poop everywhere, or spray. Ours seem to have one or two corners where they do their business. If by chance she is pregnant then you sure don't want her kindling in the litter box. Have you tried moving the litter box to another area? I would experiment until you find an area where she'll do her business but nest somewhere else.

So you guys all know that 1.Im completely new to the rabbit world, and 2. That I got my Yuki from the shelter on the 11th, she starteed nesting two days ago.
Well this morning I welcomed two new little Kits to my home :?:?:? :Shock2: Ahhh, what do i do now? I know I have to keep for 8 weeks. I think I have a runt or a peanunt as well. Can you guys help me see which one it is? So far she has had two, should I expect more coming or is that it??? Ill post a pic in a couple minuets

So the black one is healthy i believe im more worried about the white one. Does it look like a peanut or a runt?

20141217_121839.jpg

20141217_121855.jpg

20141217_121929.jpg

20141217_121942.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back