Anyone Help please- lots of questions about baby rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckstar19

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Becky and 18 days ago unexpectedly found baby rabbits in mums cage. I have been trying to read up and ring round vets for advice as I want to do my best to look after them. I have so much to ask so please
bear with me and help if possible. Any help and advice on baby rabbits would be much appreciated :)

Their Mum tried to attack them on the first day of being born and threw the babies out the nest and started destroying the nest and becoming aggressive. All the babies were crying. I reluctantly seperated the mum from them as was worried about their safety. I have been sitting with the mum on my lap and feeding the babies that way. I am now going this two to three times a day depending on how well they feed. They normally take about 15 mins suckling of the milk in total. Is this ok? What times are best to feed and how often? Sometimes they don't seem interested and are sleepy even though sometimes they have not drank any milk for 12 hours. I don't want them to be hungry but then I hope it means they are not if they don't attach on to mum when I try feed them. Maybe they have had enough milk?

I have two 18 day old bunnies. I don't know if I can try put them back with mum again as she may try hurt them. Until the last few days she has shown no interest in them and has been aggressive when I tried to get her to feed them. She now Licks them sometimes when they are feeding from her and seems calmer but still doesn't want to feed them sometimes and gets really restless on my lap. I also tried putting her in a big box with the babies to see if she would feed them happier in there or interact with them. She just ignores them and lays down or walks away from them when they try and feed. Do you think they can ever be put back together?

I am worried as they only opened there eyes at 14 and 15 days old and jumped out of their mini box into the big box at 12 days old to explore. I just have newspaper down and lots of cotton wool for their bedding and other areas. I did have a towel down but removed it to be washed. Is this ok environment for now?

When should I put hay in and what type if hay? I read alpha hay and pellets are best for them to eat but that they have to have eaten mums poop (cecotropes) for three days first after they have opened their eyes before I can introduce hay and pellets- they didn't eat mums cecotropes- shiny poop when I put it in the box. I read bene bac gel is what I should give them if they are not eating mums poop. I rang vets and pet shops and can't find it. I found it online but need it today or asap. It says bene bac plus online. Am I allowed to give them the plus one?
Sorry I know I wrote loads but really need help please.

Kits will open their eyes between 12-14 days, on average, so 14 days is normal. Mom's usually only feed their kits 1x, sometimes 2x/day. Kits are always trying to get an extra meal from Mom. If she doesn't think it's time then she will get away from them. If you leave her with them just watch closely for any aggression or if their bellies are getting smaller. I mentioned in my other post that about this age they will start to explore and will start nibbling on hay and pellets.

Kits will open their eyes between 12-14 days, on average, so 14 days is normal. Mom's usually only feed their kits 1x, sometimes 2x/day. Kits are always trying to get an extra meal from Mom. If she doesn't think it's time then she will get away from them. If you leave her with them just watch closely for any aggression or if their bellies are getting smaller. I mentioned in my other post that about this age they will start to explore and will start nibbling on hay and pellets.

Thank you for replying. Do I need to slowly keep putting them in mums cage for a little bit a day. I won't be able to keep an eye on them all the time and was worried she might hurt them. Also when I am holding when she sits on my lap to feed them she can scrap alot at the towl and my clothes and has already put scrtches on my hand while I was protecting the babies from getting mum accidently clawing then and standing on them. One bunny got a cut on their belly from mum over a week ago so I was worried it might happen again or worse. Yeh thanks I just read you other post. Will boots sell them? Will they lick the power from my hand then- one breeder told me I must use these probiotic products like Bene bad gel and you mentioned acidophilus. They said it is important I use it for three to five days before the babies eat and thing else otherwise it is dangerous or puts their digestive system at risk or something? Ok and you said about putting water down. Is a plastic saucer (obviously not deep) ok or will they drink from a big rabbit bottle. I do have tiny baby type bottles for pet that I tried to bottle feed some of the babies with before but they never took frm in after warming it up and hours of trying. Should I try put water in this and see if they drink it in between mums milk feeds?

Sorry forgot to say I don't know what make of hay I have- is it right that they have to have alpha hay for 8 weeks. What pellets, mum has these plain brown ones but I don't know what make as I was given them in a plain bag when brought the rabbit- I could message the previous owner and they might know or can the babies have any rabbit dry food. I have this assorted rabbit Royale food. Can they have spring greens or cabbage?

Okay, I wouldn't leave them in the cage with Mom unless you can watch them. They're almost 3 weeks old and if needed you could wean them at 4 weeks. If you want to give them some acidophilus, I found out how much I gave our kits, 1/4 capsule to 2 1/2 cc of KMR (kitten milk replacer). You could just dissolve it in water and give it by dropper. I don't believe that it is as critical they get probiotics, just because they are getting Mom's milk, but it won't hurt.

Kits would normally start on alfalfa based pellets or alfalfa hay because it has more nutritional value as they're developing. Don't give them any greens or veggies at this age. They should have access to water now that they're moving around. If Mom doesn't drink from a water bottle then I wouldn't use one. A small ceramic bowl would be better just because it's heavier and can't be tipped over. They can't chew on it either.

Okay, I wouldn't leave them in the cage with Mom unless you can watch them. They're almost 3 weeks old and if needed you could wean them at 4 weeks. If you want to give them some acidophilus, I found out how much I gave our kits, 1/4 capsule to 2 1/2 cc of KMR (kitten milk replacer). You could just dissolve it in water and give it by dropper. I don't believe that it is as critical they get probiotics, just because they are getting Mom's milk, but it won't hurt.

Kits would normally start on alfalfa based pellets or alfalfa hay because it has more nutritional value as they're developing. Don't give them any greens or veggies at this age. They should have access to water now that they're moving around. If Mom doesn't drink from a water bottle then I wouldn't use one. A small ceramic bowl would be better just because it's heavier and can't be tipped over. They can't chew on it either.

Thanks, I rang round and asked for alpha hay. They told me ready grass hay was the one I needed, is this ok? I have not seen them drink. I put a bowl in and tried to encourage them to drink it and also tried with a little pet milk bottle but no luck. I tried with a syringe as well.

From what I've read this is a grass hay, which would be okay. If you can feed alfalfa based pellets that would be fine. Just make the water available in case they want it.

at 18 days old they should be getting started on hay, oats and pellets. by three weeks they can be weaned if necessary. you've kept them going this long so they should manage the rest just fine with some support.

at 18 days old they should be getting started on hay, oats and pellets. by three weeks they can be weaned if necessary. you've kept them going this long so they should manage the rest just fine with some support.

Thank you

Back