An Unexpected Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
Most everyone that knows my son or myself around town knew about Bun Jovi. It's been a week and a half since she binkied over the bridge. My son Robbie has had a really hard time coming to terms with her loss. It's been hard for me too, but that was his girl and they were close. His house has been empty *lives alone* and lonely. He's been spending nights over here with me because of it. People can say that it's just a rabbit, but until you've had one as your best friend and then lost that friend, there's just no denying that pain.

Our little local convenience store is owned by our neighbors that live across the street. Their 16 year old daughter came home with a little white ruby eyed mini lop about 6 months ago. You know the story here. Bunny got less and less attention until she never got to come out of the cage. They were feeding her that fruit loop rabbit food garbage. Iceberg lettuce. Funky old hay from Walmart that looked more like straw. Her cage though is nice and large. Her poops are wet and mooshy. She's gorgeous. They gave her to my son with the cage and *crappy food* they were so ready to get rid of her. She didn't know what to do with a piece of kale. The husband was talking about just letting her loose. I think he's talking bullocks because he also gave my son $70 to go towards her spay.

She's shy, but she's been ripped up and out of the only home she's ever known. She's still scared. I'm hoping that she blooms into her sweetness. Robbie let her out to roam his living room tonight. I think that's early, but it's his bond to build. As long as he understands that every bunny is different and she is not going to be like Jovi. We don't really have a name for her yet. They've been calling her funny bunny. I'll post a pic from my phone as a reply to this.

Oh nooo, I can't believe I missed the news! Sweet little Bun Jovi, she will be so missed by all of us on the forum. I'm so sorry for you and your son's loss.

She looks like a lovely bun, Alice is a great name for a REW. Crossing my fingers for you, hope she settles in and learns what good food really is! Looking forward to updates as she settles in. :)

Thanks everyone. Robs still misses Jovi badly, but he has high hopes that this little girl will become at least as sweet as her. Jovi wasn't anything like my guy Barry who I think is more like a dog than any rabbit I've ever met. She could be aloof and didn't like handling. She did enjoy floor snuggles and kisses on her head and just hanging out in general with him and she would give kisses back. So far this little one doesn't even want to be touched, but when we went to pick her up, she did lean hard into my hand for some pets and rubs. Then we moved her to my sons house and we haven't been able to touch her since. She's just a little traumatized. I'm going to take some cilantro and parsley (start slow), lots of good hay and some homemade bunny cookies over this morning. Maybe even a craisin or two. We really need to work on that diet and some potty training. I've already started mixing her food *minus the fruit loops* in hopes that she'll accept a better pellet. Going to set her up a hay and litter tray as well. She's just been going in her cage. Wish us luck~!

Sorry to hear about Jovi. But your new little one looks like she's promising.

Wow slow! I don't know how well she can see. She tends to scan with her head as I have read that a lot of red eyed whites do. When I went over she had found her out of her room, but we quickly rounded her right back up. I think she needs to know her safe place. The cilantro and parsley were a hit. She ate a birch leaf to that I brought in from outside. She really goes after the hay and pellets. No thank you to the cookie and craisin. She absolutely loves toys of which she had none. We've backed off and just started poking our fingers and letting her Bump us with her nose through the bars.

View attachment 1418572063266.jpg

View attachment 1418572241447.jpg

View attachment 1418572460348.jpg

All of ours have been rescues with varying amounts of socialization. I tell everybody that there are 3 things to keep in mind, time, patience, and bribery. We had 2 that would go to the opposite end of the room so as to have as much distance between. They both became very friendly and the one that is still with us is now a pest, and we love it. Not all will become cuddle bunnies but most can overcome a bad start and bond with you nicely. Good luck.

So wonderful to know Nancy :) I'm looking forward to this one becoming pesty. I went over this morning to check on her and my son (I visit often as I also did with Bun Jovi for well bunny checks - sweep ups - spreading her blankies - foods) and she seems to be coming around. I got inside of her area with her and she enjoyed lots of grooms and allowed me even to pet her from head to tail. She loves her jaw rubbed and doesn't mind letting me put my hand under her chin to massage. She leans into my hand hard, but no grooms or kisses from her yet. I would like for her to be bonded with us and well adjusted before we make the vet visit for the well bunny check, spay and a good nail trimming. She doesn't seem to have any hormonal issues just yet. She's loving the greens and eating the new *mixed with old ugh* pellets. I've been picking out the corn and the froot loops and the seeds and trying to see that she's only getting the pellets from that mess mixed with the better, more healthy brand.

I really think she's going to be a sweet and special little girl. I absolutely love her ears. Pink with a thick, white edging. I'm not 100% sure of her breed. I don't think she's a Holland Lop, although she is as small as one, her head doesn't have that exact Holland Lop look...her ears don't lop to the sides, they're higher, more like a helicopter and she can move them around. Maybe a mix? Or maybe a mini-lop? She may even be a bit small for a mini lop. Any ideas?

I'm so glad you've already been able to find a special bun for Robbie. It sounds like she is settling in really well. I love her helicopter ears :inlove: Looking forward to more updates on your new addition :)

I think she is a girl...lol

Alice has really let her hare down in the last three days *harhar*! She is such a bunderful little hyperactive diva. You can tell that she is just so happy. We've tried to make her every new experience a good one. She binkies all over the living room and jumps in and out of our laps. She has learned that Nonnie's homemade bun cookies and craisins are sooo delicious. We are allowed and demanded to pet her long time. Today I picked her up and wow, I was so surprised that she was so easy. Jovi would shred you. She's not a huge fan of being held, but will tolerate it just fine. She prefers to sit in your lap instead of being held. So while I had her in my arms, I stole a peek at her parts to confirm that we did indeed have a female bun. I'm confused. I'm almost sure that Alice is female...I observed no testicles...she's intact and currently very aware of her need to be a bunny. Meaning if you put your hand anywhere near her chest, you're going to get humped. She circles my legs and will do little figure 8's between them. I've looked at a lot of part pictures tonight and will go back over tomorrow morning to have another look. The one thing that makes me think girl is that when I fluff her tail back and forth, she puts her butt up in the air like a cat. Girl bunnies might do that but not boys right?!

Flip her over, and check if she has a donut or a taco.. LOL.

Watch this I found it on youtube, I didn't watch the whole thing, but it should help ya out.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gieHwY0J2A0[/ame]

Yes. That's one I looked at today. Thing is I don't remember if it was a donut or a taco. I do remember a protrusion which could go either way though, so I definitely need to have another look now that I've schooled myself.

Here are a couple pics Robbie took this evening. Her personality is really starting to bloom. She comes running when he calls her now. This pic of her on the floor is her sitting in front of him in his chair after he called her. She is really doing a super job of helping him to get over his loss of Jovi.

Can anyone put a finger on her breed? She has that long face like my English lop. She's definitely not a Holland.

View attachment 1418878281745.jpg

View attachment 1418878290805.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back