Does this look like a pregnant guinea pig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know a ton about Guinea Pigs, but she sure doesn't look normal. I'd think she's pregnant.

Yes it does. You should be able to feel the babies clearly and, considering she's pretty fat already, they should move too.
Be careful while handling her, though, you can trigger the birth if you do. I love baby guinea pigs, they look like mini adults from the second they're born ^^.

You have to keep her separated from other animals. Rabbits could hurt the babies! And also, you might want to keep your male and female guinea pigs / rabbits separated (and to spay / neuter them all) if you don't want to have a hundred of them by the end of next year. Rabbits and guinea pigs reproduce quickly and that could go out of hand very fast.

Last edited:
And long do you think i till she pops, I brought three guinea pigs and thought they were all female but one was a male so don't exactly know when they breed :(

Did you separate the male from the females? You have to do it now and have him neutered (he can make your guinea pigs pregnant again like 5 mn after they gave birth so don't take any chance!)
It's hard to tell for the date of birth - it takes about a month as a whole and considering how fat your guinea pig is (but pregnancy shows a LOT in guinea pigs, I had one who had 5 babies once and she was enormous) I'd say less than a week.
You can house the 2 mothers together, guinea pigs aren't violent like rabbits can be and don't harm their babies. Be very careful though where you house them, baby guinea pigs are super tiny, they can go easily through holes like the one you have in your present set up.
When the babies are there, you can determine their sex almost immediatly (contrarily to rabbits, guinea pigs are easy to sex). You have to let them with their mothers about 8 weeks but not after that. You should begin to look for homes for all those babies, as guinea pigs generally have between 2 and 5 babies (3 is the more common in my experience).

It was to late to edit, but I just remembered you have to give a supplement of vitamin C to the mothers from now until the babies are weaned You can buy it online, at petshops or at the vet.
Also, I checked because I had a doubt and 8 weeks might even be a bit late to separate the (male) babies from their mothers and sisters. More like 7 weeks to be on the safe side.

Aw, they are so cute. love the little black and orange one...
You can hold them, no problem. Guinea pigs aren't fragile like baby rabbits and there is no chance of the mother rejecting them. You can put vegetables in the cage, the babies will be able to eat some of them as well (they take milk for about 4 weeks, but they can eat solid food too from the first week).

Latest posts

Back