What to feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun02

Reaction score
Hi just a quick question..... I feed my rabbits this View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1418373799.790970.jpgeach, I give them Lucerne and they have about 4 hrs in there day cage where they get grass I usually give them a carrot each and my GPS live with my rabbits so my rabbits also end up eating 1 1/2 of cucumber (meant for the guinea pigs but yeah) what should I meant to feed them there details are:
-Bambi (female) 1yr old
-Scarlett (female) 6 1/2 mths old (mini lop) quite large for age
-poppy (female) 6 1/3 mths old (mini lop) quite large for age
-storm (male) 3 mths old (mini lop)
-Oreo (male) 7 mths old (mini lop)
-Leo (male) 6mths to 1 yr old
-thumper (male) 6mths to 1 yr old

Also if anyone knows a healthy diet for guinea pigs:

-snowy (female) quite large possibly pregnant, 9mths old
- hazel (female) quite large possibly pregnant, 9mths old
-rusty (male) quite long in size, 9mths old
Ps. I give a quarter of a cup for my guinea pigs :)

If you need pics I can post :)))

When you say you feed 'this' you mean for each rabbit? You need to know the approximate weight of your rabbits to decide how much to give them.
Carrots and cucumber aren't a proper diet for rabbits. Carrots are very sugary and will make your rabbits gain weight. It's OK to give some, sometimes, but certainly not one carrot each everyday. What do you mean by 'quite large'? Can you feel their ribs easily?
Be careful with the cucumber, as the seeds are toxic.
Here are good guidelines for a proper diet :

http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

For your guinea pigs, are you making sure they have enough vitamin C? Guinea pigs lack the ability to manufacture their own vitamin C and they need an outside source (bell pepper, kiwi, broccoli are good)

It looks like there is corn mixed in with those pellets. That is very dangerous for rabbits since they cannot digest corn hulls. Here is a quote from the sourced link:
"Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky. "
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

What is the listed ingredients of those pellets? I will link a site that explains how to choose a healthy rabbit pellet. Rabbits under 7 months should have an alfalfa-based plain pellet. The older ones should have timothy-based pellets. Except for the bunnies under 7 months, the others should have about 1/4 cup per day max.

Guinea pigs should have different pellets that have added Vitamin C (like Oxbow).

You did not mention hay in your diet description. Both piggies and bunnies should have unlimited hay. Timothy is fine for all of them.

Carrots should only be an occasional treat. A rabbit should have no more than a 1" slice per day. Think more in terms of "greens" for your rabbits -- cilantro, parsley, romaine lettuce, green or red leaf lettuce, basil, mint, kale, spinach. For your piggies, think of high vitamin C --- green peppers, yellow peppers, green leaf lettuce, broccoli, orange.

It really isn't recommended to house guinea pigs and rabbits together. Not only are their diets different, but they also "speak" different languages, so can become frustrated when the other doesn't "understand" their body language. Also, rabbits can be carriers of bordatella (not showing any symptoms) which is fatal to piggies. And finally, rabbits can cause serious (even if unintentional) injury to piggies. Someone here on RO explained how one kick from her bunny caused broken ribs and other injuries to one of her piggies.

(The bold blue "link a site" will take you to a rabbit diet description.)

She's asking if your rabbits are neutered/spayed. That's what "fixed" means ^^

Are your rabbits staying together (as in : is it possible that they reproduce?)
Another good point made before is that guinea pigs and rabbits are generally housed separately because rabbits are bigger, can hurt the guinea pigs (guinea pigs can't speak rabbit and they sometimes provoke them without meaning to, which can lead to fighting and, generally serious injuries for the guinea pigs), their diet is not exactly the same and rabbits can give Bordetella Bronchiseptica to guinea pigs (rabbits are asymptomatic carriers, you can't tell if they got it, but it is serious for the guinea pigs) and guinea pigs can give Pasteurella multocida to rabbits.
Also, if the rabbits are housed together and with guinea pigs, are they in some kind of play pen? They can't be in a cage, right? That would need to be massive ^^.

They are in a really big cage but my females are pregnant and one had 4 Beatiful babies so yeah but the cage is worth 500-600 dollars (Australian money)

Yikes! I would strongly suggest you separate the males from the female rabbits right away. Are you aware that from just one female reproducing in such an arrangement, that by the end of your second year, you could easily have over one thousand rabbits!

Here is an article that explains how quickly this works:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/scary.html

My guninea pig had BabiEs not my rabbits and they are in two seperate cages where then can't breed

Latest posts

Back