Indoor cage location question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you all are well :)

I have a 4 month old bunny, Zoe. I brought her home last month, and she is still learning to be picked up. So to help with this while I get her used to it, I was thinking of putting her cage on the floor, rather then on the ceder chest it's currently on. So she can come in and out of it on her own, rather then picking her up and carrying her to her play-pen. Of course I will still be getting her used to being handled, but to help me not get scratched less..lol I was gonna move her cage onto the floor, but I'm wondering if it will be drafty being lower to the ground? Or would that just matter on where I put her cage?

Thanks in advance for the opinion!

Ashlee and Zoe :)

It's always best to allow them to go in and out as they please. That way if they want to eat or use the litter pan, they can go in of their own free will. Plus if they get scared they can run into their safe area which is their cage.

Oh, thanks but thats not what I meant..hehe. She already has access to everything in her play-pen, food, 2 litter boxes, water, etc. I was asking if putting her cage on the floor would possibly be drafty or not.

It's still a good idea to keep the cage on the floor and let her go in and out on her own during playtime. It is NOT advised to continually pick her up to get her back and forth between her cage and exercise area. This often backfires and makes a bunny despise being picked up (especially after the baby stage is past).

Having the playpen set up with litter boxes and water isn't the point. The idea is that she gets comfort and security by being able to retreat to her own cage whenever the mood strikes.

You might be better off using the x-pen to wrap around her current cage once you put the cage on the floor. Then you could even leave the cage door open all the time. Then you can bunny proof the room that she is in and let her out of the x-pen for more exercise.

All of my cages have been on the floor to allow ease of access for the bunnies and because the cage should be too big to fit on top of any piece of furniture.

Bunnies handle the floor space pretty well, I mean after all they are low living dwellers. As long as they're not in a draft area by a door or cross section or something. Plus, you'll find rabbits will be much happier being able to come and go as they please and your relationship will benefit more from it. My two rabbits have always been on the floor, but then again they're giants and all...

Thanks Troller, that is exactly what I needed to know :) Never kept my rabbits cage on the floor before, this will be the first bunny I do this with, so I wasn't sure about it.

One thing to keep in mind with the cedar chest, is that cedar has aromatic oils in it that can be harmful to a rabbits respiratory system and also can cause liver abnormalities. This is why cedar bedding should never be used for rabbits. I would imagine a cedar chest would also apply, though it won't have as strong of an aroma as fresh cedar bedding would. So probably safest to house your rabbit away from the cedar chest.

I just moved my boys cage up onto a desk in front of the window, he looks to look outside. I just put his litter box on the floor, he's pretty good with going in it. He prefers to kick out in the living room, or be up on the bed with me, rather than in his cage anyhow, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back