Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oglie2000

Reaction score
My bunny is having a really bad shedding cycle. He got a fur ball he passed in his poop. I get fur all over me but when I brush him I can't much fur to come off. Can anyone suggest how to groom my bunny better, please?

You might need to try a different type of brush. Not all brushes work well with all types of fur. For bad shedding, I find it most effective to wet my hands, pet, stroke and pull as much fur off as possible, wash my furry hands, and repeat and repeat until satisfied.

There is a really great brush/comb called the "Furminator" but it's kind of expensive. You can find it for a better cost on Amazon.com. Whatever you do, please groom your bun very regularly while shedding. Our bun is suffering a large blockage because of a huge hairball.

I try to groom him regularly however the brush I am using isn't working so well. I can actually use my hand and kind of pluck the fur out better than the brush, however I feel like that might hurt him.

If the hair is already loose and coming out, it won't hurt him. Just don't pull hard on the hairs that are still attached to him. I have heard good things about the furminator too. Also, rubber brushes with nubs. Best of luck! Shedding is always a pain. :p

I tried a few types of grooming implements myself and found all of them to be rather disappointing. So I asked my Vet and she recommended a men's hair comb. I was shocked how well it works and how well my rabbits tolerate it. SHOCKED! And since I'm bald, but have a strange amount of men's hair combs it works out like gangbusters for me.

I often pluck my rabbits that go through a bad molt. It doesn't hurt them like said above as long as the hairs are already loose. I definitely don't use a lot of pressure and globs just come out in my hand. I have to do this to my Brit about twice a year and I definitely do it outside. I pluck on the hindquarters, sides, and sometimes chest area until I hit new hair growth. Bunnies molt from the spine down. If you start plucking bald spots then stop an move to another area and wait another week. New hair growth takes about 3-4 weeks and I usually pluck once a week during that time. It's a long process but well worth the wait to see that shiny new coat

Going through the same thing right now. Rubber glove brush is my best friend. I also have been just plucking out the big chunks when my bun comes for pets. I'll go as long as he lets me.

We have a wire cat brush that works too well--2 passes and I have to clean it as it is full and doesn't work after that unless I pull the hair free. I have also used a lint roller but it has the same problem--it takes four changes to completely do a small bunny. I dampen my hands and give the bunnies a rubbing and it seems to get quite a bit that I then rinse off, but, some don't care for a good rubbing either.

Thanks for the assistance. I will try a couple different techniques suggested above to see which one works the best.

Harper is a molting fool right now, too. I'm going to try the men's comb!

He stopped shedding right now so the next go around that it's bad I will try these options and see what he likes and what works best.

Latest posts

Back