Companion for a breeding male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokie

Reaction score
Okay, this is just a thought for the future....

Im getting two english angora sisters (babies) soon. Im going to see how it goes but if i decided to breed them id need a male.

Thing is, it seems sad to me that the male would have to live on his own. IF i got a male in future, could i keep him with a neutered female? Or would he drive her crazy?

Two boys together would fight yes? What if one boy was castrated, would they still fight?

Im definitely not definite about breeding, its something i will be thinking about over the year ahead.

Also, would i have to keep those two breeding females separate if i dont neuter them?

Thanks

You could keep the sisters together as long as they get along, but it's likely at some point you'll have to separate them. Once they get into those teenage years and hormones kick in they could very well start fighting...you'd just have to wait and see. The male would be okay by himself, but I wouldn't put another male with him, fixed or not fixed.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Yes i hope they get along if not then they can live side by side. IF i got a male i guess itd be kinder to have him entirely separate part of the house from the girls so he's not desperate to get at the all the time? Or kinder to have him near them also?

This is all very speculative. I have chinchillas which id never breed because i dont think people should have them as pets - i might well feel the same way with the angoras once i have them and wont want to breed them anyway.

Thank you again :)

I would keep the male in an area separate from the girls. If the room is big enough you could probably keep him in the same room...just depends on his behavior. If/when you decided to breed you would want to move him closer before you breed. It sometimes helps to get the girls 'in the mood'. :)

Thank you for your help :)

Guess ill wait and see how it goes once i have my girls x

I think he will be quite fine on his own. Give him lots of love and treats, he will be fine. He doesn't need to be housed in a different room.. Plenty of rabbitrys keep all their stock in the same room.

I have two English angora does, and a buck, and he's a happy camper.

I think he will be quite fine on his own. Give him lots of love and treats, he will be fine. He doesn't need to be housed in a different room.. Plenty of rabbitrys keep all their stock in the same room.

I have two English angora does, and a buck, and he's a happy camper.

Ok great, i wouldnt be getting a male for about a year anyway. Can i pm you? X

Latest posts

Back