Rabbit playing with bedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace_morse_

Reaction score
My holland lop now, moves all the bedding on top of the cage(were they sleep) and move it down stairs. Every time I put new bedding up there he moves it. It's really cold outside and I would hope he stops doing this! He also moves everything around in the cage. It's a two story huge cage. When I clean it he will move everything around and throw his back feet up in the air and run upstairs. Then moves all the bedding down stairs. And keeps on thumping his feet. There are two boys in the cage and only one of them are doing it. I need them to stop because it really hard to clean up and I want them to be warm. I use cedar chip bedding.😭 Please help! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1416864507.190774.jpg

Rabbits generally do not like bedding except to toilet on. They prefer to sleep, sit and walk on solid surfaces. I think the way bedding moves around affects their traction. He's trying to send you a clear message, he doesn't want any bedding where he sleeps! :p Take a hint mom!

You can get him some small fleece blankets to lie on instead, rabbits are built to live in cold temperatures so a fleece should be more than enough to keep him warm.

Sorry - that's a bunny for you :) No way you can stop them from redecorating. Just trust they're smart and not going to make themselves cold by doing it.

How big is your cage and are they locked in or do they get the rest of the house as well? If he's thumping it sounds like he's a bit bored. Making sure they get lots of time outside the cage will make it less likely they spend all their energy on tearing things apart.

Also, side note, you should stop using cedar chips. They're not safe for rabbits—I think they cause liver damage. Try carefresh bedding, newspaper, hay, towels, etc.

Latest posts

Back