Bun Jovi in Stasis - Help Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
Good morning,

Yesterday (might have even been the night before) Bun Jovi stopped eating and pooping. I've been hovering over her since yesterday and now we're really starting to get really worried.

I've massaged her belly, given water through a syringe several times, given simethicone four times (hourly last night and again this morning). I've tried to peek at her teeth but that's pretty much a no go. She refuses hay, applesauce, any treat or craisin ,pumpkin, greens, pellets. She'll eat nothing and take nothing but water or simethicone through the syringe. It seems anything that has a flavor is refused.

I asked if they carried Critical Care and was told no. This is a rabbit savvy vet...why no CC? Anyway we'll have her teeth checked and have her checked for blockage and anything else that could be behind this. I have a book *A House Rabbit Primer* that has excellent advice in it to show the vet. It refers to drugs to get the GI moving: Propulsid (cisapride) or Reglan (metoclopramide).

Is there anything else that I might need to be sure to tell him? We're so worried about this little girl.

The fact that I have a vet appointment in less than two hours seems to have disappeared. But of course we do.

It sounds like you've covered a lot. I'm sorry I can't provide any more information. We're all sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery. :pray:

Teeth check out fine. She's back from x-ray and we're waiting on doc. Scary and praying for no blockage.

Make sure to get pain meds. Most important thing to get a rabbit eating again is to get the pain under control. Metacam is most common one given. You want the dog one(1.5mg as opposed to 0.5mg one as more concentrated means less meds you have to get your bun to swallow), hopefully this vet knows that higher doses are needed with rabbits and prescribes a high enough dose to actually help. Also if she's dehydrated, it helps for them to administer sub q fluids. You are going to need something to syringe feed. Ask them what you are supposed to use if they don't have CC.

I hope they figure out what the issue is and Bun Jovi is feeling better soon.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. The diagnosis is that Jovi has a massive hairball. The ok news is that it's not on the bad side... it was a "P" word that I can't recall. I am very impressed with our vet. He was very impressed with me because of everything I've learned here at rabbits online. She was given the meds to get her gut going. She was also given subcutaneous fluids while there. We were prescribed fresh pineapple juice, some cat laxative, how to mix a slurry until I can get critical care through the mail, which included strawberry flavored ensure rabbit pellets Metamucil and anything else I can chop up into it to make it liquid, 5cc 3x per day. I'm a little concerned about stuffing this down her with the blockage, but we're also mixing in the med that makes her gut move. I've mixed this up and I'm about to give it to her. She has proven that I'm going to have to force it. So far I've managed to get about five cc of fresh pineapple juice into her. I'm open to anything else those of you with a brilliant bun minds can add.

Just saw this- I went through this with my dearly departed Trigger a few times over his too short life (6 years). It always scared me to death!!!! Hope all is good with your Bun Jovi...

Trix and I pray for you and your oh so cute furry menagerie.

Worried. Just so worried. My son wont let me bring her home with me to nurse so I'm making 3 trips a day to his house. I really hope to find a really large poo tomorrow. Even a little one would please me.

Aw, Bun Jovi is so lucky to have two angels looking out for her. Hopefully all your dedication pays off and she gets better real soon. I'm not so sure about cat laxative, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that kitty laxatives coat hairballs in grease so they pass through easier, but when used in bunnies the grease prevents stomach fluids from breaking down the eaten vegetation, and makes things worse? I could be wrong though.

Sending all the best thoughts to you and Bun Jovi.

Oh gosh I hope not! I haven't been very successful getting the cat laxative in her. Its tuna flavored and that must be yuck to a bunny! I'm about to head over and see how thing are this morning. Praying for a big poo!

Jovi is a little more perky today. She ate a small sprig of dill and a craisin. That was encouraging! I managed to get 6 cc of pineapple juice with her gut stim meds into her and about 6 cc of water. The slurry was a no go, perhaps banana might be enticing. I'll try that exclusively at noon since she doesn't get meds again until this evening. She didn't feel quite as doughy this morning as she did the day before, but she did have fluids. I massaged her belly and thought I might have felt the blockage so I manipulated a little for as long as she'd let me. She also dug in her blanket for a little while which I think is good movement to maybe move things along.

Today at lunch and again at dinner, Jovi ate a small bunch of greens. I made her slurry with banana and she had that grudgingly better from a spoon. Its been real messy LOL. I'm covered in scratches, but its all in the name of love. Still no poo but the blockage must be moving a bit if she's taking food in. I've instructed Robbie to give her lots of tummy massage and to remind her to drink water.

I'm starting to get a little more than worried, this is Thursday, Happy Thanksgiving. We started meds and treatment on Monday. Still no poo. She sits on her potty blanket like she wants to go. She has been nibbling greens, and an occasional craisin. I also managed to find a ripe papaya and I've been crushing that and giving it to her in a spoon and she eats it. We received our new box of small pet select Timothy hay, so I'm going to try to entice her with that very, very fresh hay this morning.

The point made about the cat laxative made sense to me, so I haven't been givng her any of that, but last night I did give her a small bit of it. I think I may give her another small bit of it this morning. I don't think we're getting enough fluids into her. She is frustrated with the syringe feeding and will only take things from a spoon. If I try to put a syringe in front of her, she will trance out and let it just fall out of her mouth.

I just can't remember if what I read was about cat laxative or cat hairball treatment, they might be two different things? If your vet specifically prescribed the cat laxative, it may be safe to use after all.

Water is very important, if she will swallow any at all you should definitely not give up on syringing water.

Get better soon, Jovi!

One poo tonight! I was rubbing her belly and she lept up and over me and one decent sized wet poo popped out! I dosed her up good, she nibbled more greens and papaya and maybe more will happen tonight or tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back