Rabbit breathing rapidly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi-fructose

Pumpkin and Peaches' mom
Reaction score
I got my rabbit peaches almost a year ago, and she has always been a very rapid breather... I can't tell unless she is laying down, but when she does she shakes really fast. she doesn't make any noise or act unhealthy in any way, she just breathes so fast it makes her practically vibrate. she has always done this, and when she got a check up at the vet a couple months ago before getting spayed, they said she was completely healthy. she does have a bit of a runny nose though. wondering if I should take her back to the vet because of this?

Is it just clear discharge you are seeing or is there white snot? Have you noticed if your bun sneezes very often? Any matted fur on the insides of the front legs? How bad is the discharge?

Last edited:
it's clear and completely unnoticeable unless you put your finger on her nose. I've never noticed her sneezing and there's nothing on her paws.
however I just touched her nose and it's completely dry.
she does crazy binkys every day and acts completely healthy she just breathes really hard it seems

It's okay for bunnies' noses to be a little bit wet, especially around the "v" part (just like any animal's nose). A rabbit with an actual runny nose will usually have noticeable wetness down towards their lips and on the surrounding fur. For example, if this is a bunny's nose/mouth, turned sideways >-I then the wetness would be below the "v" and on the line above the mouth if they were sick.

For the shaking - do you mean if she's running around and then lies down you can see her ears shaking as she breathes? Is this all the time or just sometimes? The shakiness is perfectly normal after a bunny tires herself out - for example, she might be binkying and then stretch out and look "shaky." It's just like a person after they exercise. A rabbit who's hyperventilating would make noise or snort or look distressed.

It sounds to me like everything's normal...are there any other signs or just the slight wetness and the shaking?

Latest posts

Back