Cage flooring, plastic tablecover?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokie

Reaction score
Is a plastic tablecover taut over cardboard a good choice for cage flooring? Or is fleece better?

Its for angora rabbits so normal bedding will get really tangled in their fur.

Is it dangerous if they eat a lot of the tablecover plastic?

Thanks!

best to use something they can't chew--some will, won't.

Can you please specify some things under the cant chew category? I have chinchillas and degus and these guys can eat walls and metal. Pretty much the only thing they havent chewed is the semi expensive chew blocks i bought them!!!!!

Yes, it's true, look online, theres a pic of a solid metal flying saucer thats been eaten!!!!!

Most rabbits will chew through a plastic tablecover. Some heavy duty tarps might work - depending on the bunny.
Do you have a photo of your cage? That might help us to figure out options.

Thin plywood can have self-stick vinyl tiles put down, or a piece of rolled linoleum. It's a good idea to have a water proof flooring down like the vinyl or lino and then you can always put fleece or a pet bed in there for them.

Other than the wood pellets in their litterbox, my rabbits cages don't have any loose bedding. I'll attach a couple of photos of current and past cages so you can see some options. Sorry the photos are so big - not sure how to adjust.

The NIC cage has rolled linoleum for the floor. That may be your easiest option. I just made sure that the edges went slightly beyond the cage edges so that bunny couldn't get to the edges and start chewing.

The smaller NIC was a temporary cage, but if you look close, you can see rolled linoleum sticking out under the rug just outside the cage. So in this case, the lino serves to protect the carpet just in case. A shower curtain liner could do the same thing since the rug is on top.

The x-pen just has fleece on top of carpet (bun is fully trained).

The wooden cage has actual tile (though the walls have the vinyl stick tiles on them.

IM000411.jpg

IM000406.jpg

sams x pen.jpg

cage collage (640x481).jpg

Most rabbits will chew through a plastic tablecover. Some heavy duty tarps might work - depending on the bunny.
Do you have a photo of your cage? That might help us to figure out options.

Thin plywood can have self-stick vinyl tiles put down, or a piece of rolled linoleum. It's a good idea to have a water proof flooring down like the vinyl or lino and then you can always put fleece or a pet bed in there for them.

Other than the wood pellets in their litterbox, my rabbits cages don't have any loose bedding. I'll attach a couple of photos of current and past cages so you can see some options. Sorry the photos are so big - not sure how to adjust.

The NIC cage has rolled linoleum for the floor. That may be your easiest option. I just made sure that the edges went slightly beyond the cage edges so that bunny couldn't get to the edges and start chewing.

The smaller NIC was a temporary cage, but if you look close, you can see rolled linoleum sticking out under the rug just outside the cage. So in this case, the lino serves to protect the carpet just in case. A shower curtain liner could do the same thing since the rug is on top.

The x-pen just has fleece on top of carpet (bun is fully trained).

The wooden cage has actual tile (though the walls have the vinyl stick tiles on them.

Hello! Thank you for your very helpful post, i love the fact youve gotten in second levels!!! Heres the link of our cage, itll be in our living room. We might be able to do a second level part too or a few long tables in it to add to the size! Its 180x75x75cm.
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B007IG455U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

We have tiled flooring but ive heard bunnies can get sore feet so my idea was to have a layer of cardboard with plastic table cover over it till theyre litter trained then exchange it for fleece over cardboard - with the ends being outside of the cage of course so theres nothing stick up thats tempting to eat.

Id already bought two metres of fleece but i used it to make cute hamacs for my other wee pets!

I had no idea i could use carpet!!! Is it definitely safe? Id so love to give them carpet when theyre litter trained!!!! We have a great green rug but i think the fibres are a bit long and could be bad if they eat that :-/. As a kid my rabbit had a solid sort of plastic mat...

:rabbithop

Last edited by a moderator:
A bunny is very likely to chew a plastic tablecloth and that could cause a gut blockage. I would not advise it.

The tile should be just fine. Why don't you just put the plain cardboard down for bunny to chew? My rabbits love to chew cardboard (most bunnies do!) Then you can just replace it as it is destroyed. You can also look at willow mats or sea grass mats which bunnies like to lay on and also eat and destroy (available at bunny stores online).

The safety of carpet depends on the rabbit. I only had one (or two?) that ever bothered carpet. Since each rabbit is different, it is a matter of testing and watching. The following are all potential floorings for a rabbit cage (depending on the rabbit)...

linoleum
stick vinyl
floor tile (not too slick)
area rug
bath mat
puzzle mats
rubber mat (like for car trunk)
fleece blanket
cat/dog beds
heavy duty tarp
cardboard (will be destroyed)
seagrass mats (edible)