I don't know what to do :( - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundamluver

Reaction score
I have two bunnies. Their names are ChubChub jr. and Mrs. Moustache. Their about 9-10 months old and their sisters. Yesterday, Mrs. Moustache was acting strange after I left them out of their cage to run around while I cleaned their cage. While ChubChub was running around like usual, I looked over to Mrs. Moustache and saw that she was shivering (more like shaking like a spaz attack) I immediately got scared. Her "episodes" would only last a few secs (about 5 seconds) I've never seen her do this. I began to look it up to see if others would be having this problem. Within that time frame, Mrs. Moustache had 3 more of her episodes. I called a vet near by and luckily their "exotic pet" vet was there so I immediately took the Moustache duo to the vet. When I tried to explain how her episodes were like, on cue Mrs. Moustache had her episode.

It's strange on what she looks like. It's like a cross between her humping but she doesn't hump something. The vet checked her and the only thing they could find was she had a slight fever. They poked her and she didn't witness pain, they checked her blood glucose and it was fine. They asked if she had seizures, head tilt, or heart attack and I said no. They've been healthy since the day I got them. This is the first problem I've had with them.

When they experience her episode, they think she could be coming into heat. (Which is possible maybe?) ChubChub showed these signs of being in heat wayyyyyy early on but Mrs. Moustache has yet to show hers. The vet checked her, along with the assistant with us and even another assistant came to look at her. Between all of them, they don't know what's wrong. They gave her some medicine along with antibiotics (in a shot) and they said hopefully it will bring her fever down and maybe work her "kinks" out on her horomones. We decided we will wait to see how the medicine will work. Last night, she didn't show much improvement except that she was having a reaction to the shot area (area right behind her ears )as it was a little bit hot. I got a wet towel and dabbed down that area to help cool her down. It worked but then a few hours later it would be back. She's having difficulties getting into the litter box now :( I put down a towel and set it by the litter box to help Mrs. Moustache climb in so it wouldn't strain her much.

I was actually scared to go to bed but went ahead. The next morning, I checked my bunnies and saw Mrs. Moustache halfway out of the litter box. I helped her out. I didn't see her have her episode but now, it looks like she can't even walk at all. Yesterday, it was more like a wobble but now, it looks like it's worse :( I don't think she's ate or drank anything since yesterday since their litterbox isn't littered in poop like always.

I literally have no clue what's going on here. My cousin (these are her bunnies accident babies) will be here Friday to come see them since she is worried herself. Out of her 5 bunnie grandkids, only 1 passed away due to worms. The family that had the bunny, didn't have the bunny for too long either :(

1082661_10152423257423159_142177819_n.jpg

10002908_10152143165773159_517510101_n.jpg

10396542_10152289774693159_1272744448_n.jpg

It sounds to me like she is having seizures of some sort. Most common things that would suddenly bring on something like this, would be an infection(possibly ear infection, did your vet check for this?) or a protozoal parasite called e. cuniculi, which can affect a rabbits brain and nervous system. There are other less common things that could be a cause, such as a tumor, but at her age it would be less likely.

By the sounds of it, your vet probably gave the antibiotic Baytril, due to the 'baytril burn' skin reaction you are describing. Have any other meds been given, such as a steroid injection or metacam(anti inflammatory), or the anti parasitic Panacur? Baytril is a common a antibiotic that vets will start out with for rabbits, but with the severity of your buns symptoms, you may need to be using a more effective one such as peg g, zithromax, or chloramphenicol. Also if your vet didn't give an anti inflammatory, that should have been given. Metacam at least, though with the severity of the seizure episodes, a steroid would be a serious consideration to help immediately bring down any swelling that might be causing this. Typically though you have to be really careful about using a steroid with rabbits as it lowers their immunity, so should really only be used with very careful consideration and as a type of 'last resort' in very critical circumstances. The other med Panacur, would have also been a good one for your bun to be given just in case of the possibility e. cuniculi is involved, as it is a common thing to affect rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm
http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

To me your vet doesn't sound like they might be all that knowledgeable about rabbits. If you don't feel they are very experienced, you may want to try to look for a better rabbit vet to deal with this. But whatever vet you see, it needs to be done today as your rabbits situation is critical, and at this point aggressive treatment sounds like it might be needed to get on top of this. Especially with your rabbit not eating and her condition rapidly deteriorating. She may need to be admitted and be put on fluids, but in the least you will need to be syringe feeding her if she isn't eating on her own at this point. But in any case, I would be getting her back to a vet immediately.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Last edited:
I called 2 vets yesterday and I am going to see another vet. When I told them of my situation, she was concerned about it. I just hope that I'm not too late. I have thought that there must be some sort of infection with her as my other bunny is always with her also and has not shown these signs yet.

I hope the new vet will be able to help your bun out. :( I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Moustache and hope that she gets well. All my fingers are crossed (and all four buns have theirs crossed, too!).

I called 2 vets yesterday and I am going to see another vet. When I told them of my situation, she was concerned about it. I just hope that I'm not too late. I have thought that there must be some sort of infection with her as my other bunny is always with her also and has not shown these signs yet.

Well I just came back from the vet and I have some good news! The vet told me what may be wrong with her. She has some sort of infection (either a parasite or bacterial) that's effecting her brain that is sending signals to her muscles on her front paws. She can feel pain but just can't control them. The vet gave her some shots and gave me some medicine for me to feed to her. He also gave me some powder to help her diet that will help her. The vet said they will call me on Monday to see if she has some improvements which I am hoping! :) I promise to update you guys! <3

This morning Mrs. Moustache sadly passed away. :( She went peacefully which is good and she is no longer suffering. I had just given her medicine when my cousin yelled for me. She told me that she moved a little bit and went limp. When I had picked her up, she was limp. I checked her heartbeat and felt her heart beat once more before she was gone :(

Oh Geez that is just so sad. I actually never heard of anything like this but you did everything that you could. I am so very sorry for your loss s; she was so cute !

I'm so sorry for your loss. :pray: You did everything you could for Mrs. Moustache, and you can take solace in knowing she passed peacefully knowing how much you loved her.

Latest posts

Back