Not Sure What is Going on - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica_89

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an adult lop ear rabbit and there is something wrong with him. He was fine last night, social and his normal self. He always comes to me with his favorite toy when I come home from work. Anyway, I went to work this morning and when I got home, I went to visit him as I always do and I noticed a couple things:

-his food was not touched
-has not touched his water
-when I offered him his favorite treats he turned his nose up at it
-anti-social with me and my fiancee

I want to say that this is gas but not entirely sure. I do not have the funds for simethicone or a vet consult. As I look at him and feel around, I do not notice anything else abnormal:

-Eyes and Ears are clean
-Nose is clean
-Mouth is clean
-I don't feel anything distended in his belly or anywhere else,
-he looks and feels otherwise healthy

I have massaged his belly for 20-30 minute interval to try and help him out but he still lays in his caged shifting around in one place, sitting up then laying back down. Is there maybe an at home remedy I can do that will not harm him?

Please Help, I am completely scared for my Peanut :(

Simethecone (infant gas drops) is relatively cheap. I bought a bottle to keep in my bunny first aid kit and it was $4 at Kroger. This can be given every hour for gas pains. Is he pooping normally? Are his poops smaller than normal or mushy? This sounds like it might be stasis or possibly a hairball blockage which can be deadly. Or it could be his teeth...possibly an abcess. Hopefully JBun or someone else with more knowledge will come on soon and can help you determine what's going on.

He hasnt peed or pooped in the last several hours. I just gave him water by syringe and he seems to be taking that. For the last time that he has pooped everything looked normal. Nothing seems to be wrong in his mouth, tongue and gums are pink and his teeth are bright white and at the perfect length

Last edited:
With upset stomachs and minor gas episodes, belly massage and encouraging a rabbit to run around may help. Also checking the ears to see if they are really cold as a rabbits body temp usually drops in these cases and the rabbit will need help warming up with warm packs or warm towels. A rabbit that hasn't eaten or had water for several hours is also likely dehydrated, in which case they usually need some electrolytes like plain pedialyte. It's important to syringe(needle-less) it slowly and carefully to reduce aspiration risks. Like channahs said, simethicone infant gas drops is cheap and if this is gas it may help. Adult gas x can also be used if it's all that's on hand.

But really this is considered an emergency situation and your bun really needs to be seen by a vet. They can check your bun over to figure out what might be causing the lack of appetite, because gut problems are not the only thing that can cause a rabbit to stop eating. Dental problems and other health issues that cause your bun to be in pain, can also cause this, and if one of these is the cause, you will not be able to fix these type of medical issues without a vet. They can also give fluids, and gut motility meds and pain meds that can help get your bun eating again.

A rabbit that has stopped eating for several hours, also needs to be getting food, even if it has to be syringe fed. It's important to keep a rabbits digestive tract moving with food and fluids, but force feeding shouldn't normally be done if a rabbit has stopped pooping, until a vet has ruled out a complete blockage. Once a vet rules it out, it would be safe to go ahead and syringe feed your bun. You can use plain canned pumpkin(no spices) or pellets soaked in warm water in a pinch, but usually your vet will sell you a feeding mix that is better to use for sick rabbits.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
Well, bad news.

I was able to get some simethicone for Peanut till I could get him to the vet after work today and when i took him to the vet, he was examined and he was in critical condition and when the veterinarian took him into the back Peanut went into cardiac arrest. I lost my baby today at 4:15 this afternoon. The vet said i had done everything right to help him but he was too far gone to bring him back. Thank you for offering some help.

I am so sorry you lost your peanut. It sounds exactly like what happened to our thumper a couple weeks ago. Totally fine and herself one day, and everything you described the next. It happened over a weekend, so I was not able to get her to a vet in time. (There are no 24 hour rabbit vets around)

I'm sorry for you. I lost a bunny 2 years ago to this. I got the gas medicine in her but it was too late. We were on our way to the only rabbit vet near us which is about 45 mins to an hour away.

I also noticed my current bunny having the same issues. I was luckily off so I was home all day with him. I got the medicine in him and he pooped.

I really know how you feel. I wish you the best.

So sorry for your loss. These type of issues come on so quickly with such nebulous symptoms. Simethicone can be a life -saver as simple as this sounds and yet sometimes even then the rabbit succumbs. Rabbit are definitely high maintenance animals . I am so very sorry for your loss ! <3

Latest posts

Back