Off topic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
Does anyone have a dog that is completely interested in the rabbit and will stand by the cage for hours watching his every move? I'm trying so hard to get my dog used to my bunny but it's so hard. Help!

Unfortunately dogs and rabbits do not have a good track record of being friends. Unless your dog is very very placid and won't chase anything that runs, don't assume that he will not hurt your bunny if given the chance. Keep them separated, it must be quite stressful for the bunny to be watched by a predator animal all the time.

Well the thing is, my dog can't sleep in my room bc that's where the bunny cage is and it sucks.

Why not move the bunny cage? Bunnies can live happily in the kitchen or laundry room as long as they get plenty of attention during the day. I think your dog would very much like to sleep with you.

What you are describing about your dog is exactly how one of my dogs behaves at the pet store around the rodent cages. Her favorite thing to do there is go from cage to cage, nose plastered to the glass aquarium, tail going a hundred miles an hour just waiting for them to move.

Both of my dogs have high prey drive as that is a trait I specifically look for in a dog as I enjoy the interaction in training that I get with the dog. That being said, my dogs hike off leash and have been taught not to chase wildlife, and the dog that behaves this way at the pet store, does not do this at home with the rabbits…she did in the beginning, however. So even though the dogs have strong prey drives, it can be controlled.

At the pet store we have rules. She is allowed to watch the rodents intently as long as she doesn’t use her feet on the glass and does not slam her nose into the glass to scare them into running. If she can stand and watch intently without frightening the animals she is allowed to continue. First aggressive move on her part, and she immediately loses the privilege. I usually have to drag her away before she loses the privilege with her behavior.

Both dogs had quite a bit of training around wildlife, and already knew not to chase, before the rabbits arrived on the scene in the household. I did have to work with both dogs after the rabbits arrived, but training went very quickly since all they really had to learn is that the household animals are the same as those we happen upon in nature. There was a training process though. The dogs did not get free access to the rabbits unless I was there to control the interaction. I worked with each dog individually at first.

Since the first two weeks, both dogs have had free run of the house with the first rabbit when I am home (I had the first rabbit several months before I added the second rabbit). Adding the second rabbit was a piece of cake. Both dogs were like “oh, another one of those…whatever.” All four run the house together on a regular basis now and have for quite some time. Both rabbits regularly use the dogs as their personal jungle gym, climbing on their heads and everything. If the dogs are lying around and the rabbits suddenly go into 500 mode, both dogs just lay there and watch them with expressions that say “what is up with you?”

You do need to use common sense. I do not leave the dogs and bunnies loose together ever. If I am going to be out of sight for more than a couple of minutes, the dogs go with me or the bunnies go in the condo. They are still dogs and rabbits who will do doggie and rabbity things. We do live very peacefully together though, high prey drive and all.

The first step in teaching the dog (besides basic obedience) is to teach the dog self control/impulse control. Do a google search for “It’s Yer Choice” and you will find material on how to start this. Then build on that.

What breed of dog do you have? Some dog breeds such as terriers, and hunting breeds, are more prone to want to eat your bunny, for obvious reasons. They may never able to be friends.. That's just how it is sometimes, lol.

I have a pitbull/boxer mix named Pebbles, she will be six in a week, I've had her since she was a pup and she has always been around rabbits, I trust her completely with Lovelace, I leave them alone together all the time, as Lovelace has free roam during the day.

He goes up to her and noses her, and will sit underneath her. And go between her legs, he is t scared of her at all. She even moves out of the way for him sometimes, lol!

Here's a quick pic I took this evening.
❤️🐰

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1416465624.721519.jpg

She is a cattle dog mixed with beagle. So I little bit of a hunting dog. I never let rocket out of the cage when she's around. I don't trust her at all. I'm beginning to except the fact that they will probably never be friends. I just don't want her to pay him any attention and that's the hard part. I can't move the rabbit cage in the laundry room bc that's where the dog crates are and the kitchen is to small. Only option is my room.

I have the same problem. I have a 4 month old Eurasier (so, absolutely not a hunting breed) and I put on a barrier in front of the rabbits' room, as the breeder advised me to. But I have to close the door behind the barrier most of the time because my dog will not stop to whine and jump in front of the barrier like a loon. The rabbits seem to have stopped caring about him (Tybalt is looking at him while eating like "if you think I'll give you my pellets just because you're acting like an idiot, you've got another thing coming, loser!") but I'm always afraid the barrier will come loose or something with the dog knocking into it.
The worst is that I'm not even sure my dog wants to eat them. He behaves the same when he sees people, cats or dogs. But he would certainly hurt them even if it was to play. I am not hoping they will become best buds or anything and I don't intend to leave them alone together, ever. But it would be nice if the dog could stay calm when he sees them. When I go to my parents house, he also chases the cat. He doesn't care about the smell and doesn't take notice of the cat if he doesn't move, but when the poor kitty runs... so does my dog and it's quite awful. The cat got scared and scratched him on the ear when he saw him last :/

I will look at the link you suggested, GardenSpots. I'm kinda hoping my dog is behaving this way because he is still a baby and that he will grow calmer with time and some training. Most Eurasiers are couch potatoes, hope I didn't pick the one who isn't ^^'.

Latest posts

Back