My recent experience

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron

Reaction score
My father told me that rabbits made better pets than cats. I am now inclined to agree, since I became an owner of a young kitten last month. I have a black rex I have named Baron. I planned ahead and did some research, however the experience is quite different from anything you will ever read or be told online.

I cleaned up my bedroom because this is where I planned to keep my rabbit once I found one. Then I read article after article about rabbits. I found out you can litter train a rabbit. I went looking for a cage for my new pet well before seeking the actual pet.

I hit several stores and found most cages far too small and expensive for my taste. I was about to give up and go home when I was walking through the home department at K Mart and found a wire cube shelving on clearance. I got it for just $20. It is made up of several wire panels held together by plastic clips. I was able to make up a cage 28"x35" and enough spare to make a small gate for my doorway.

I then cut to fit a cardboard box as the floor so feet wouldn't pass through. I had a large roll of butcher's paper in the garage and used it as a protective layer between my floor and the cage. Then I tossed in some glass bowls for food and water. I found a small cardboard box and cut a hole for a hiding place.

At Home Depot I found a small bag of peat moss but then reading it found chemicals (yuck) and a child hazard warning. So I ended up buying a large $10 bail of pure peat moss. I stored it in the shed outside. Then I found a nice lady who sold me the Baron. He is priceless but cost only $10 and was 6 weeks old.

He quickly learned in about 10 days or less what the small tray of peat moss is used for and inside of the month I haven't found his pellets anywhere but the litter tray. He has explored the bedroom and even hops up onto the bed. Rabbits are very intelligent, he seems to know what locks the door to his cage. I only leave him in there when I am away.

I have an issue with him chewing on my plasterboard walls but we are working on that one. I am currently trying to get him to use pine cones and natural wood instead. Besides the minor repairs, I can't believe plaster is good for him.

Most of his time he spends running about the bedroom or exploring. He loves to lick people and bit me once just to see how I taste. Compared to my brother's cat rabbits seem to be gentle, quiet, clean, and less smelly pets. So far it has been a pleasant experience.

it's illegal to sell a rabbit under 8 weeks.Other then that sound like he's having a fun time in his new home.

uh... thanks for the warm welcome?

My state (Michigan) doesn't impose such a law; you just are not allowed to paint them.

752.91 Sale of artificially colored baby chicks, rabbits or ducklings; unlawful.

Sec. 1.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to sell, or offer for sale, any baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings, or other fowl or game which have been dyed or otherwise artificially colored.

Sec. 2.

Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this act shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished as provided by the laws of this state.

Welcome! You may be pleasantly surprised to find that you are among many like-minded rabbit slaves. Many of us house our rabbits indoors and often allow them to free range. My pair (both fixed) have the cage door open all day long. They have free access to family room, kitchen, dining rm and hallway.

We also have guinea pigs (among other pets) and I find the rabbits to be much easier to care for and much cleaner, neater. (never had a cat for comparison)

I'm sure there are bunny proofing tips for your particular situation. With so many RO members, I'm sure someone has dealt with a similar obstacle! Young buns and especially hormonal buns (that's still to come for you) tend to be more destructive chewers than fixed buns, so the chewing may settle down after he's fixed.

I will be sure to take some photos, my camera batteries are dead and the holiday crunch is here. Maybe this weekend I will remember to pick some up at the dollar store.

I think the Baron and I are settled in now. He spends more time with the cage open now. I found he likes to chew on my old blue jeans more than the wall, so I can afford a pair of jeans more so than wall repairs.

When I am sleeping he jumps up on the bed and runs back and forth lengthwise. Then stops and digs at the covers, yesterday he kicked me in the head. It was quite the wake up call.

Also I have taught him to come when called. I am one of those people who just cannot whistle, so I just pat (or drum) the bed or chair and he hops right up. The treat I used to teach him this was old fashion oatmeal. He gets pretty hyper after eating oatmeal.

Since this is the "introduction" thread, I will leave this here and post some pictures of him in the proper locations at a later date.

The Baron and his human wish you a happy Thanksgiving.

Awwww he sounds adorable. I have a black mini rex named Black Jack. Love rexes they are so plushy. He sounds like he is adjusting to a happy life as a house rabbit.

Back