Dropped my bunny :-( -- rookie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odindax

Reaction score
Forum,

Thank you for all your replies in my previous posts. Bunny is doing fine. Ate a few wires, but pees less on the carpet.

Today, I dropped my bunny. I was lowering him into the cage when he kicked. His front paws grabbed the second upper level, but he missed, flipped upside and landed about 45 degrees on his back, between total back landing and side landing. This was about a foot off the ground.

Will he be okay? Which signs should I look for?

He did hop into his raised litter box, pooed and ate his spring mix afterwards.

I won't get into his breathing and emotional distress.... :-(

Last edited:
My advice is to ultimately bring him to the vet, because since rabbits are prey animals unless he was deathly hurt he would hide his symptoms for as long as he can. If you cannot do this you should probably(he is going to hate this) gently feel his bones(especially his spine) for breaks and damage. It really is best to bring him though in my opinion.

Falling a foot's length should probably be okay, but landing on his back is a bit iffy.

Signs of pain to look out for include difficulty walking (let him out and see if he limps or walks funny in any way), loss of appetite, not wanting to move around much, loud tooth grinding, and just generally looking uncomfortable. Let him out and observe him for the next few hours. Try to chase him around a bit to see if he's alert, agile and moving normally. If anything seems off or out of the ordinary at all, he'll need a trip to the vet.

Just to follow-up (and apologies for not doing it sooner), he's okay. Showed no signs of anything wrong. Hid for a bit, then acted normally. No strange sounds, tooth grinding, etc.

:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back