what wood sticks to chew on

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

brand new here

I'm looking to find out what types of wood my bunny can chew on?

I've heard that some types of wood have high acids or other stuff that would be bad for him.

thanks for the info, Todd

Hi! Welcome to RO!! I heard that apple sticks are good. There are willow sticks and stuff you can buy for your bunny at a place called binkybunny.com . Just go to the store:)

A lot of tree branches are toxic until they are aged (minimum 30 days), so definitely don't just pick them off the tree and offer them to your bunny. I've heard apple branches are ok right away, but make sure they haven't been spray with pesticides! Untreated wicker items (baskets, balls) are great, as are apple branches and willow. Mine love just chewing the bark off and don't really care for the wood itself at all. I know that's not a comprehensive list, but I hope it helps a little!

My son has a large birch tree in his back yard. Our buns love the bun-safe bark that sheds from it, and we also give them small twigs to chew.

Safe trees: Willow, spruce, ash, birch, maple, juniper, poplar, apple, pear, hazel and hawthorn.
From DIET page 21 of 22 Feeding Rabbits http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dis...ing_en.pdf

birch tree.jpg

Last edited:
Birch trees cool, I have three of them. Too bad I trimmed them for Fall on the first week of September.

Oh and there are a couple Apple orchards not far of a drive. Don't know if the owner will let me cut off a branch?

Just make sure that the trees are not sprayed with pesticides!

Willow and apple sticks are sold for pretty cheap at pet stores tbh. I was able to get some willow balls from the local pet store and only paid like 5 dollars for three. Those rabbits will chew them up quick though! Rabbits also love to chew on cardboard, but it doesn't wear down the teeth as much if not at all.

I got a nice piece of really old and hard Walnut. It has not yet interested Mr. Kato, hopefully it will... and hopefully it's safe for him to chew on???

Latest posts

Back