Bonding Lily and Squeeven

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeowBun

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new here and created an account because I could really use some insight into my bunny bonding situation. My boyfriend and I rescued Lily, a female Mini Rex about 9.5 weeks ago. I was told she's fixed and approximately 5-7 years old (but her energy level makes me think it's probably closer to 5). 5 weeks later, we agreed to take in Squeeven, a 2 year old fixed male of indeterminate breed, on a trial basis to see if bonding was likely. He is now a permanent part of the family.

Lily is housed in a 3-story bunny condo I made with wire cubes and we started housing Squeeven in an exercise pen inches away. After I had spent close to 20 hours reading about every bonding trick on every bunny forum, we started bonding sessions in a neutral space and, at first, there was trouble. The fighting never got out of control thanks to a broom and some loud pot banging, but both bunnies were instigators and nobody was happy. We did this once a day and then twice a day until fighting ceased, but cuddling never happed. I tricked them into licking each other with banana smears multiple times but, other than that, no grooming. They are clearly comfortable around each other though and will groom themselves, binky, eat, flop, sleep etc. We carpeted the living room and began letting them out of their cages together most of the time, and just putting them back in separate spaces at night. We even switched enclosures every night.

Now, weeks later, they have full run of the living room and both enclosures except for bedtime, and there is no fighting. Occasionally, Squeeven will approach Lily and she will make weird squeaky noises. Sometimes she nips him if he's getting too touchy and pulls out some fur, but no injuries or chasing. They sleep close together, but don't touch other than head-lowered standoffs where both want grooming from the other, but neither will submit. It's just mostly ignoring and peaceful coexistence. It's clear that Squeeven would like more affection for Lily, but she is clearly the dominant one and is simply not interested. I have tried stress bonding to no avail as well.

Has anyone ever heard of bunnies like this? Is it possible that they will more or less ignore each other forever? To be safe, will I have to keep them separate every time I'm away or sleeping forever? The whole point of getting two bunnies was so they could keep each other company. Any personal experiences that relate or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It may be because of the age difference. The doe is more mature and the boy is still young and may want to play. It may take a while for the boy to mature and realize who is boss. It may be Better to give them some space. Separate them once in a while.

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Once bunnies are old enough to be fixed (and are fixed), age should make no difference at all in the bonding process.

You mentioned that they sleep close to each other. Is this when they are each in their separate enclosures? That kind of closeness can mean opposite things. It could mean they want to be near each other OR it could mean that they are guarding the border of their perceived territory.

If they are still having the head-to-head grooming standoffs, then I would not consider them bonded. But they may still be on their way to bonding. There are no absolutes when it comes to bonding, so you may need to rely more on your gut instincts to interpret their behaviors/attitudes.

That said, I have had the occasional pair of rabbits that absolutely refused to bond. But these rabbits were all-out fighting, everytime, every opportunity. Yours started out with some aggression but it seems to have greatly reduced since then. It could very well be that they have or will agree to just a relationship of tolerance but not bondedness. It will be up to you whether or not that is acceptable.

One could argue that it would be better for them both if the newcomer were exchanged for a more willing bondmate. Then both bunnies might be able to find a happier and closer relationship with another bunny. Or one could stick with what exists now and hope it gets better (though realizing it may stay at this level - and if so, be ok with that). How much time has the tolerating of each other been going on? It could be that they only need more time. You'll have to really on your own gut feelings for that. You probably know them best.

Thanks for the insight. It's true, I would definitely say they aren't bonded, but there hasn't been a single fight in more than 3 weeks. They still switch enclosures every night and often lie together (meaning: heads touching, or only an inch or two apart) on the top level of the condo, so I don't think territorial behaviour is the reason. After a while of being close, Lily will often give Squeeven a sharp nip on the head/neck/side, seemingly unprovoked and Squeeven will startle, stand up, then lie back down again after a minute or so. We seem to have been at this impasse for about 2.5 weeks with no real change. Every time I see her nip, I let out a high pitched squeal and firmly tell her "No Bite!" because that's how we trained her not to nip our ankles (and if she's already done it a ton of times that day, gently but firmly put my hand over her shoulders/head to get her into a submissive position for 5-10 seconds). I also try to pet them/give treats when they're close to each other. I just really don't know what else I can do. I'm sure to give them each lots of pets and affection every day to make up for the lack of it from each other and make sure neither of them gets discouraged or depressed. Squeeven is a real trooper, though!

Latest posts

Back