Baytril - Why did our rabbit do this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
We have two bunnies being treated for an URI. They seemed to be doing fine. One was taking it like a champ, and the other we have to do a bunny burrito to get him to take it. But the one who was taking it like a champ, all of the sudden refused to take it. He started swatting at the syringe, shaking his head, and just kind of freaking out. So, we did the bunny burrito on him last night, and went very slow, but got the Baytril down. He was very angry with me after that, and refused to take his banana. He even stomped at me. The rest of the night, he had kind of heavier breathing than usual, and it has continued this morning but he has made up with me by chinning my finger, and taking food from me. He has been eating and drinking like normal, and as far as I can tell by his litter box, everything else is working. I am just concerned why he would stop taking the Baytril, and why he is breathing so hard now. It's like it went from tasting fine to tasting disgusting! The other rabbit wouldn't even take it to begin with. It's a liquid form - and it's supposed to be fruit flavored. It smells sweet too. I'm just confused and worried that after a week, the bunnies are getting a little better (sneezing stopped), but that they are now acting like this and the one is breathing hard. I guess I need to make a visit to the vet to follow up???

Your rabbit seems to be "the don't tell me what to do" sort of rabbit. He may not like how you are in charge of him and is upset.

It may also taste bad. It smells good to humans, but not to animals. It may take a while for him to get used to it.

I'm not sure about the heavy breathing, I would ask a vet about that :)

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Actually, he is normally that way, but when it came to the Baytril, he was always willing to accept it until last night. I took him to the vet this morning and she said that he had a little more rattling in his throat area, and she was a bit concerned that maybe the Baytril wasn't working. So, she decided to give him a shot of penicillin (Flocillin?), and said to keep him on Baytril. I brought him home, and he was acting normal for a while, eating greens, hay, etc. But now he just sits there and acts like he's mad at me. He's still breathing a little heavy, but not as bad as last night. She wants us to give him probiotics, but he won't take anything from me if it smells weird. I am supposed to give him Baytril tonight too, and I'm just worried about overwhelming him with all of that tonight after he had to go and get a shot today. I'm also worried that I am not seeing poos....there are some in his cage, but I don't know if they were from last night or today! Guess I will clean out his cage and his box and wait to see. This is so frustrating!!

Thanks for the responses! My daughter was able to get him to take the probiotics and soon after, I saw a few poops. I think he is really mad at me right now.....and I am hoping this is just an attitude issue and him not trying to hide how sick he is.

Some of our rabbits take meds with no problem and we have a couple who are a pain to dose. One of them holds it against me for a few days but it doesn't last.

Baytril is a fairly bitter tasting drug. It's often compounded with something fruity and delicious that may get them interested but in the end they still find it bitter. It may be a history of taking a better tasting drug in the past or even the initial sweet flavor that got him to take it willingly at first but now he's decided actually it isn't all that great.
What probiotic are you using and what form (e.g. gel, powder, etc). I usually smear the gel kind on a treat or mix the powder in with the pellets to get them to take it. Remember that for a probiotic to be effective, it shouldn't be given at the same time as the antibiotic. Ideally you want at least 3 hours between the two.

Probiocin I think is the name. We have to sandwich it between two banana slices, but now he will take it. It seems to be helping. We give it to him in the afternoon, and he doesn't get the antibiotic until the evening. We actually skipped last night because he got a penicillin shot at the vet, but we will go back to the Baytril tonight. I'm a bit worried because he is not acting like himself with the exception that he will get up in a hurry if he smells banana. He seems to be sleeping heavily a lot, and hasn't been too active except to get up and eat, drink, and poo/pee.

Something else to consider is his feelings towards you if you're the one giving the meds. Not too long ago my rabbit had an abscess lanced and was on antibiotic injections, oral meds and warm compresses. Around day 2 she stopped taking treats from me and I was so worried that she was in pain and not eating. Then one of my roommates walked in the room and she started begging fr treats. Turned out she just didn't trust what I was offering.

Latest posts

Back