Help! Rabbit diarrhea!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopsofloverabbitry

Reaction score
Today I came home from school to find my beloved first rabbit not feeling so well. He was eating his poop and there is wet poop all over his butt and he stinks really bad. I took action right away. I lost a rabbit earlier this year to a rabbit having diarrhea ;( I took him out of his cage and his buddy he was with and gave him hay and special water.

He is active and hopping around and like his normal self but a little slower. Please help me! I do not want this to happen again!

Yesterday he was laying down and his buddie was hopping around, I though it was normal because it was hot outside and he just stretched out.

Please help me!!

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Diarrhea in rabbits could have any number of causes but is considered VERY serious, take him to the vet right away! If it's an infectious problem, your other rabbits who have been near him may also be at risk.

A rabbit should daily eat its body size in hay. Hay is the best way to keep a bunny's digestive tract regular.
I'd suggest you start feeding your rabbits hay every day to prevent diarrhea and GI stasis.

The fact that he is eating his poo (not cecotropes) is an indication that he is trying to get more fiber.

If your rabbit has profuse watery diarrhea, you need to get him to a vet immediately! If he is acting abnormally and not eating, or not eating very well, you should get him to a vet. For diarrhea or mushy poop with lack of appetite, it is likely you rabbit has either coccidiosis or bacterial enteritis, both of which can be fatal if not treated promptly and with the appropriate meds.

If it is just mushy poop, but he is acting normally and eating fine, it may just have to do with diet. If you fed anything new recently, that could be the cause. Otherwise, it is usually due to too many pellets in a rabbits diet and not enough roughage and fiber from hay. If you do cut out pellets temporarily or reduce them, and free feed a grass hay, you just need to ensure that your rabbit is actually eating the hay well to make up for the reduced pellets.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3012

Latest posts

Back