Vaccinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chantiepants

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I've had my baby bunny since we was only a few weeks old.. he's about 5 months old now and was just wondering is he should get any vaccinations anytime soon?? Thanks in advance

Usually rabbit don't need vaccinations. Breeders don't give their rabbit vaccinations since rabbits aren't like cats and dogs. I've never given my rabbits vaccinations.

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Rabbits need vaccinations to prevent/protect against myxomatosis and Rabbit (Viral) Haemorrhagic Disease (R(V)HD) which cause intense suffering to rabbits these diseases are mainly found in wild rabbits but it can be spread easily by other wild animals in to your garden I.e foxes if you have a house bunny it is even at risk to by you bringing it in to your home on the bottom of your shoes i.e taking your dog for a walk in the woods or a field where wild rabbits live every rabbit should be vaccinated once a year !!

What country do you live in ?

I would just take the little guy in to a rabbit vet (exotics) for a general wellness exam, and they will work out the rest.

In Australia you do have vaccinations, but not sure if it is both the myxi and calci vacs, or just one of them. Easiest way to find out is to call your vet up and ask what vacs are needed and then schedule an appt. to have it done.

Pani is spot on. You will definitely need to vaccinate for calicivirus (RHD), unfortunately the vaccination for myxomatosis is not available in this country so can't be given. The RHD vaccine should be given every 11-12 months.

Latest posts

Back