Cart for a disabled bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmsvegas

Reaction score
Hello there! My little guy Bugs has been disabled (back feet can't move) for the past few months or so after an unfortunate fall. I am not trying to type out a long history about him - he seems quite happy these days. I take care of him BIG TIME.

Anyway my question is this: I have heard about carts for bunnies that allow them to run around still. The cart keeps their back legs proped up. I have seen these in video for cats and dogs AND bunnies, but my problem is that I cannot find instructions to create one at home. I have even seen multiple built-at-home carts before online but nobody seems to reply to me when I ask them how they built it.

I would really, really, really appreciate it if somebody can tip me off with a link to where I can find some instructions on how to make my own cart for Bugs. I cannot spend the $200+ every site online is charging for a cart.

Thank you very much!!!

I apparently can't edit my post. Wanted to mention I have used the search function without success... there are a bunch of results involving disabled bunnies and carts but nobody seems to have any instructions. Very unfortunate.

We used PVC pipe and cut it down. Measurements will depend on the size of your bunny. We cut and recut this several times. Fortunately, everything you need is pretty cheap. You just need some tools to build it.

Supplies:
1/2" PVC pipe
2 caps
4 elbows
2 T's
split tube pipe insulation (athletic tape or bandage tape to hold it)
4: lawnmower wheels
dowel the same diameter as the inside of wheels
pet vest with velcro closures
elastic
plastic canvas
embroidery floss
2 safety pins

Tools needed:
Saw or something to cut the PVC. We used a miter saw.
Drill with a bit big enough for holes for wooden dowels that fit inside wheels. (My boyfriend borrowed a drill press. because the holes need too go on the outside of the corner elbow joint and the PVC is hard to hold and drill in that spot.)
large eye needle for embroidery floss
sewing machine to sew on elastic loops
measuring tape

The vest has 2 pieces of elastic and plastic canvas to hold it to the cart. I use a leash wrapped around the plastic canvas to help guide him. I will say that it goes better on pavement or carpet than on grass. My bunny only uses his about 2x per day for about 15 minutes each time.

He can urinate in the correct position while in the cart, but I try to wait until after he has urinated before putting him in because it can cause him to pee. (I walk him in a sling to potty.)

To put him in, I tilt the cart (with vest connected) up on its back end and maneuver it up over my bun's back legs and pelvis. Then I rotate the cart down 90 degrees and velcro the neck first, then the belly.

Any questions, let me know. I haven't glued mine together yet, but I will probably just use duct tape.

The photos show the cart, and I think you can see how it all goes together. It is trial and error for sure. What works for my bun might not work for yours, so try to adjust things accordingly.

These are the instruction videos we used as examples:

[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5Vh1YyLOM

and
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AcQCWZAsPM#t=29[/FONT]

[/FONT]

DSCI3285.jpg

DSCI3520.jpg

DSCI3525.jpg

DSCI3490.jpg

Last edited:
That should say 4" lawnmower wheels. I would have got 3 inch ones because they were narrower, but the store was out.

I want to phase out the safety pins. I can sew the plastic canvas to the vest, but I am procrastinating it. It doesn't have to be sewn down for Armageddon, just basically tacked into place.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness thank you so much fannymanson. That is exactly what I was looking for. I expect much trial-and-error like you mentioned.

Thanks again!!! I will report back with any further questions I have and show you guys the completed project once it's all done.

Your welcome! I hope your bunny likes it! I am working with Big Brown a little every day, but I don't want to overwhelm him. He sometimes struggles against the cart, but I give him a little nudge forward and he snaps out of it. He is small (4-5 lbs), so you can see we basically just used enough PVC pipe to connect the joints of the cart on the vertical pieces. The bottom horizontal bar will be at the same height as half the diameter of the wheels. You just have to make sure the bottom elbows have nice holes that line up with each other. Then feed the wooden dowel all the way through the pipe and both holes. Leave enough on both ends to attach the wheels. I really look forward to seeing your bunny in his cart!

These photos show the double clip leash I use when we are on the sidewalk or in the driveway. I can help steer him and yet he still has control.

DSCI3580.jpg

DSCI3581.jpg

Latest posts

Back